• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to tackle u-joints, ball joints....

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found a post that had a really good reference for the U-joints so I am not worried about those and i think the ball joints will be pretty straight forward. What I am wondering is if there is anything else I should do while I am in there? Wheel bearings or anything like that? Also with a 96 4.0 4X4 all stock, are there any issues that I will run into if I go get u joints, ball joints and bearings for this specific year? I know there are different axles and years that crossover but I don't know what they all are. To my knowledge nothing has been replaced, I am at about 136K

Thanks

U-joints and ball joints you can do at the same time.

Bearing as expensive. I always get mine from a junkyard. They are about 120 to 140 at a parts store, or you can get one for $10 at a junkyard.

Or, if you are super cheap and want new, you can dissassemble your old ones, and take them into a bearings place and they will source the parts for you.

Some parts places get confused about which U-joints are which, or perhaps the parts books are wrong, and it may even vary within the 96 model year, so try if possible to measure the ones you have. My son had this problem, thinking he had all the parts ready, and finding, with axle shaft apart, about 15 minutes before everything closed 20 minutes away, that the new joints were a size too small. We made it, but it was a nuisance.

I would not replace wheel bearings if they're not bad, because they can last a very long time, but now is of course a good time to check them carefully. If you make sure the mating surfaces are clean and well coated with anti-seize when you reassemble, they'll be easy enough to do at another time.

Back