• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery hose hanging by transmission.

Calata

NAXJA Forum User
Hello.

While looking around under the jeep this morning, I found a hose just hanging on the right hand side of the tranny oil pan between the oil pan and the exhaust. Apparantly it's zip tied to one of the electrical harnesses under there for support but what gets me is that the line is capped with a small little red plug. I can't figure out where exactly it goes into, or even why it's there. Any one have any ideas ?

1998, auto tranny.

Thanks,
Nick

That's what it sounds like, it connects to your front axle. Most Dana30 have a vent hose that comes out of the top of the differential. Mine got pulled out some time a while back. It is needed though, so just push it back on the outlet on the axle and zip tie it a little better you should be fine.

if it is the axle vent hose, and it goes on (or comes off way too easily) a simple fix would be to cut off the botom .5-1 inch of the hose (where it expands to fit over the connection) and reattatch. it will buy you some time before you do longer vent hoses.

It's the tranny vent hose. You should either zip tie it back up there or extend it to the firewall.

I have a similar problem on my 89 laredo, same setup. my hose comes down from transmission and rests on the pass. side at bellhousing. The end of the hose has a piece of metal tube in it that appears to be cut off. I can't trace the end that goes into the tranny because it goes over it and into it some where.

fspell220 said:
I have a similar problem on my 89 laredo, same setup. my hose comes down from transmission and rests on the pass. side at bellhousing. The end of the hose has a piece of metal tube in it that appears to be cut off. I can't trace the end that goes into the tranny because it goes over it and into it some where.
Bingo. Same exact problem as me based on your discription. Question is, why is it capped ?

I am betting this is the vent line from your NSS. I am also betting that "cap" is actually a breather.

Ok. Got around to securing it back up with the breather pointed towards the engine compartment. I tried to follow it towards the back of the truck to where it goes, but other than going towards the aft of the tranny on top, I'm lost as to what it actually plugs into.

Regardless of where it goes, I'd like to say thank you to all who posted what it could be. However, to better educate myself and others further down the line, what exactly is this line from ?

cherokee89 said:
I am betting this is the vent line from your NSS. I am also betting that "cap" is actually a breather.

After thinking about this, I am thinking it may actually come from the tranny. I remember extending my NSS vent hose up to the spot where you are talking about. I plan on getting under the Jeep sometime this week, so I will see if I can find an answer for you.

IMG_3856.jpg

hope this helps
Jeremy

fspell220 said:

There's three vents up front: 1 for the front axle, one for the tranny, and one for the transfer case. The one right behind the bell housing is for the transmission and has a plastic vent cap on it (see in2fords photo). The one with the bent metal tube has a bolt tab on it that holds the tube in place on one of the upper engine to bell housing bolts. Mine at least, had no cap on the end of the metal tube.

I routed all 3 to the top of my firewall, capping each with a vent cap obtained while shopping at the junk yard.

Based on the pic posted by in2fords, I'm starting to think that it's the xfer case breather than. The hose extends to the rear of the tranny, on top, and I can't follow it past the crossmember. Everyone can see the hose in the picture posted by in2fords. It's in the upper right hand corner. For now, I've secured mine with zip ties into the holes on the tranny case, 1 in front of the NSS and 1 behind it.

Would be nice for future posters and the search engine feature to put the final answer in this thread. I can't possibly be the only person in this world of XJs that's wondering what that hose is for.

Oh, and the breather tip on the hose is red in color, at least mine is.

Back