• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Rockdrummer93

NAXJA Forum User
Time to bring this to the NAXJA crowd. Taking my Jeep under the knife yet again. So a little background. Bought this Jeep back in 2010 with a small lift and some Rubis. Did the usually early Jeeper build and daily drove it till couple years ago. Once it wasn't my DD anymore I did my first big mods. Stretched it to 106", swapped the axles for a D60/D44 combo and went with 37s. Wheeled it a little while and realized the Dana 44 wasn't going to cut it anymore. With that realization its time to complete my 1 ton swap with a HP60 and ofcourse 1 tons aren't complete without some 40s so i guess that will come too.

How I bought it:
38339960001_large.jpg

How it ended its DDness:
IMG_4290_zps7411ea97.jpg

How it was 2 weeks ago:
745B402B-0120-4EDA-A229-BBE2EE084939_zpsjkp24nh1.jpg

How it sits now...
IMG_0447_zpseccjrkif.jpg

That looks like a solid XJ. Tell me, do you get crazy, uncontrollable wheel hop with the radius arms? I mean, when you spin the front tires, do they stay planted, or do they start bouncing? What springs and shocks are you running?

That looks like a solid XJ. Tell me, do you get crazy, uncontrollable wheel hop with the radius arms? I mean, when you spin the front tires, do they stay planted, or do they start bouncing? What springs and shocks are you running?

Not too terribly bad, most of the time I barely notice it but i see it happening watching videos after the fact. Im running RC 4.5 coils with a 1.75" spacer and Skyjacker M95s for shocks. This set up works great for me, main reason why I haven't messed with it. But i may end up lowering it with the new axle and/or adding in a passenger side full upper for a 3 link keeping my lowers.

So 1tons or 3/4tons?

Its really a 3/4 ton now. The front was a HP44 out of a f100 with chevy 8 lug outers. Rear was a dana 60 out of a w200, but i had recently changed it to a 35 spline d60 but not sure what it was out of. So replacing my 44 with a 60 so i'll have full 1 tons

Not too terribly bad, most of the time I barely notice it but i see it happening watching videos after the fact. Im running RC 4.5 coils with a 1.75" spacer and Skyjacker M95s for shocks. This set up works great for me, main reason why I haven't messed with it. But i may end up lowering it with the new axle and/or adding in a passenger side full upper for a 3 link keeping my lowers.

Its really a 3/4 ton now. The front was a HP44 out of a f100 with chevy 8 lug outers. Rear was a dana 60 out of a w200, but i had recently changed it to a 35 spline d60 but not sure what it was out of. So replacing my 44 with a 60 so i'll have full 1 tons

Nice similar to my front axle..

You said you've been breaking hubs and a stub axle but no inner axles hun? The heavy duty Ford 44 has bigger axles that taper down near the spline! So it basically looks like an hour glass (weak point). If the axles are cut and shorten then this section is removed! If not then I do not see how the hub or stub is breaking unless there is throttle pedal malfunction. The 60 hubs will have problems with the 40's if the throttle pedal malfunction continues. I've run 36-37 as wide as 15.50''s wide and broke one inner with a built V8 in 20 years and never on the Hammers. I went to a Chrome Currie inner. My point is that the 44 is well proven maybe it's not the axle or hubs. Your going to have to modify your driving or just go big from the start with RCV's and hub plugs! Any way kudos on the front 60 it will look killer too!

I understand what you're saying. Im running full yukon chromos with superjoints. in the time I've owns this axle I have broken 1 stock stub, 2 chromo stubs and twisted the splines on 1 inner chromo as for shafts. Id have to say I've broke 4 or 5 locking hubs. And yes I do have a skinny pedal problem haha As for the 60 it will eventually have full 35 spline inners and outers along with super joints and drive flanges so it should handle 40s just fine.

Iirc Yukon 44 shafts fail at approx. 5,800 lb/ft, stock Dana 60's at 6,500 and Yukon 60 at 12k? Factor in smaller tubes, r&p, bearings, hubs, etc and a Dana 44 is far weaker than the 60 no matter how built it is.

Thanks for all the 60! I never said the 44 was stronger or just as good, that wasn't the point. The point was his skinny pedal problem!! I never said a 44 was stronger! I have a 9'' front and rear with 35 spline locked and geared with a doubler set up as I said 20 years without a break, good maintenance and a spacer under my skinny pedal. It was not criticism on him it was an observation and a pointer on axle life! He will be happy with the 60's regardless of RCV's or chromes but he'll need them if his driving habit does not alter. When I posted the post it was a subtle observation for a good looking XJ with no insult intended, THAT was my point!

haha I wasn't saying anything against what you were saying lol I understand I have a problem lol but gonna try to see if the 60 will help me if not then i'll have to cut back on the lead foot. This will be my last axle swap thats for certain, figuring its my 7th.

I've got a red XJ almost identical to yours I'm doing a 44/60 swap on currently. I'm using the heavy duty 8 lug front from an f250 so mine should hold up a bit better.

Mind posting some pics of your trackbar mount? I'm struggling to figure out how to place mine axle-side. Also, what size lift were you running? Looks to be a good height without going way too tall. I'm planning on only running 35s for now as it still sees quite a bit of street time. Do you think the 60 will be an anchor and drag through everything or should I have decent clearance?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this build, it's looking good man. What gears are you running?

Rockdrummer my reply was not at all directed at you! You seem very mild tempered which is good! In other words you nave thick skin you have to, some just rant! I know you'll be good with the 60! I do not know what gears you will run but 4,56 and up will help with the lead foot! Good luck I will follow your build and keep that thick skin it helps keep you warming the winter! Ha!

Mind posting some pics of your trackbar mount? I'm struggling to figure out how to place mine axle-side. Also, what size lift were you running? Looks to be a good height without going way too tall. I'm planning on only running 35s for now as it still sees quite a bit of street time. Do you think the 60 will be an anchor and drag through everything or should I have decent clearance?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this build, it's looking good man. What gears are you running?

Im running 4.5" RC coils with 1.75 spacers and 3" BDS leaves with 1" shackles and relocation brackets, along with bigger axle tubes and brackets its around 7ish. I also use all ruffstuff brackets with these except the uppers. Those are from rustys. As for running 35s I don't think it will be too bad but I wouldn't want to do it for long. I had some bald 35s on this thing for a little while with the 44/60 and wheeled it once, wasn't a big fan. A good 37" Toyo or Goodyear will do great both on and off road and would be my option if I were you. I'm running 4.88s in my axles now. I geared my stock axles to 4.88s when i was DDing it on 35s and loved it and even with 37s it does pretty good. I would have gone to maybe 5.13s but the rear axle I bought already have 4.88s so I just went with it. These are all I have for track bar pictures right now if they won't work I can go take some more. The upper frame mount I'm using is a TnT customs mount.. Don't mind the super thin "truss" haha

IMG_6255_zpse2ad5d9e.jpg

IMG_6257_zps909ffa7c.jpg

it got replaced with 1/2" before it ever went under
IMG_6281_zps9d36ed52.jpg

Thanks! That helps a lot. I've got the same trackbar and I was concerned that making it so short and mounting it that close to the center of the axle would cause some issues. I've always been under the impression you want the tie rod and trackbar as parallel and close in length as possible..

Back