• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All British Field Meet

Metal Thrasher

NAXJA Forum User
Saturday was the All British Field Meet at Belevue Community College.
Not really an XJ event but there were quite e few XJs there..... XJ6, XJR, XJS....Jaguars of course. And one Jeep XJ used as an event vehicle:

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

Of interest to those who are participating in the Timber Tamers' Trophy Challenge ( http://www.timbertamers.org/ttcw/new/ ) in September: Doug Shipman's rig. You'll be competeing against him.
IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

For those not familiar with Doug he is the guy who has run the Trophy Challenge in the Northen Oregon area for a few years. http://www.teamtrophychallenge.com/ He makes a living repairing and modifying Rovers... Preferably Series models.

One for Matt: Exxon always used the "tiger in your tank" slogon.... But here Gulf got the Tiger.
IMG_2943.jpg

And a car that could truly wear the Gulf racing colors but looks extremely sweet as is: (Original 1964 Ford GT40 - I believe the Lola body is what qualified it as a British car.)

IMG_2944.jpg

I usually attend, but I was at Naches this year. I heard Sunbeam was the featured marque...you know how much I like small sportscars with American V-8s in them. ;)

Dig the Gulf colors, too! What's the last car? Looks like a Miata with a bastardized GT40 front clip.... TR-8 maybe? :dunno:

EDIT: That is NOT a real car. Almost positive it's a TR-7/8 with some bodywork. NOT a Lola/GT of ANY sort.

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
Oh yeah! I forgot why I took the pics. It's a TR7 with a body kit. There was a GT40 parked by the Sunbeams but I didn't take a pic of it... :twak:

Cool stuff.

I've got a Spitfire sitting around. I think an aluminum Rover V-8 in it might be kinda fun. Something to think about (what's another project, right?).

Megawatt said:
Cool stuff.

I've got a Spitfire sitting around. I think an aluminum Rover V-8 in it might be kinda fun. Something to think about (what's another project, right?).

The All Triumph Drive In is August 11th in Vancouver BC. There will be a couple TRs stuffed full of V8 power. There was a guy at this Field Meet with a Chevy LS2 in a TR6, VERY nicely done.

Metal Thrasher said:
The All Triumph Drive In is August 11th in Vancouver BC. There will be a couple TRs stuffed full of V8 power. There was a guy at this Field Meet with a Chevy LS2 in a TR6, VERY nicely done.
There was a guy in Issaquah a while back with a TR-3A that had a beatifully swapped 289 in it. Car was amazing. Of course you know how I feel about small sports cars with big American V-8s:

http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8068

1148680363.jpg

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
There was a guy in Issaquah a while back with a TR-3A that had a beatifully swapped 289 in it. Car was amazing.
-----Matt-----

That settles it then....it's getting a small block.

-and a bigger rear axle

-and a Tremec 5-speed

-and chassis work

-buttload O'money

Anybody want to buy a Jeep? (j/k)

IXNAYXJ said:
Don't you have a half-built bitchin' Camaro to finish? :dunce:
-----Matt-----

When I drive past the kids, they all spit and cuss,
Because I've got a BITCHIN CAMARO and they have to ride the bus.

Dead Milkmen > *.*

IXNAYXJ said:
Don't you have a half-built bitchin' Camaro to finish? :dunce:
-----Matt-----

Uhhh....yes.:eyes:

The Camaro will be finished first of course. Trust me, my wife is really good a reminding me about getting my projects done.

The Spitfire is more of a........long term project.

IXNAYXJ said:
Good answer.

In other British car news, the 1.6 motor we got out of the new Miata donor car is going to go into my buddy's MGB GT. Side-draft webers and the whole shooting match. That will be a fun little sleeper!

-----Matt-----

That will be really cool with the carbs. Most people probably won't even know its not stock.

But that 1800 is such a sweet engine. All torque no revs. Reminds me of another engine closer to the XJ heart. :) Maybe put the old engine in a Samurai or something. Seriously go for it. Have to say that having a piston crown separate at 112 mph on the M1 in my B is not one of my favorite memories and it certainly did not impress the girl I was with.

nickguy said:
But that 1800 is such a sweet engine. All torque no revs. Reminds me of another engine closer to the XJ heart. :) Maybe put the old engine in a Samurai or something. Seriously go for it. Have to say that having a piston crown separate at 112 mph on the M1 in my B is not one of my favorite memories and it certainly did not impress the girl I was with.
:roflmao:

The B motor isn't really all that bad, and I talked him out of trying to put a C's 6 cylinder in. :puke:

He only paid a couple thousand dollars for the car and it's International Distress Orange, but it is a chrome bumper car, thank god. The 1600 should be a fun project, and a good excuse to exorcise the lingering hauntings of the Prince of Darkness. I had to drive home one night in that car with no headlights...my first real experience with a British car. :rolleyes:

He'll probably just keep the 1800 and make a coffee table out of it, just in case he wants to put it back in someday.

-----Matt-----

Actually I love the B engine. It is so simple and was a workhorse. It the b was really the poor man's etype. To this day I can balance twin su's at 20 paces. I loved the electric overdrive and all that torque. Personally I would keep the 1800. It matches everything else on the car so well. I was just reading that the MGB V8 only got 137 hp as opposed to 150 for the C six and 95 for the 4. Pretty awful huh? Presume all that is sans emissions. Anyway great car interesting project. Good luck. Pity that an XJ 4.0l
would be a nightmare to install and would probably collapse the front suspension.

http://www.realdriver.com/mg/mgc.html

nickguy said:
To this day I can balance twin su's at 20 paces.

You just made it into my address book! If there is one thing I really have problems with it is carb sync. When the TR3B resides in my garage I will keep your number handy!

Back