• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakota springs?

Uglygreenxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on building a long arm set up that I will use with my spacers and 6.5" springs. But I wont be done with it for quite a while.

In the meantime, my rear end is sagging pretty badly. I have dual add-a-leaves in the rear (they came that way, I didn't throw two in there) ones full length and ones short. I am also running 1" lift shackles.

I don't really like the idea of the overload in the Dakota pack but if i use my main XJ leaf with the Dakota leaves (minus thier main leaf and overload) perhaps with some of my other leaves, and my lift shackle, might I be able to achieve 4.5" or so of lift?

I carry alot of heavy tools, a 20lb CO2 tank, small sub box, etc. back there all the time. It is way too soft right now so it could stand to be stiffer anyway!

And finally, what year Dakota do I need to pillage from?

Thanks!

Dave

Actually, thats where I got the idea, Unfortunately he didn't include what model years of the Dakota to get the springs from. The Dakota went through a complete redesign at one point and I wasn't sure if the springs are different or not.

I guess I will have to stop being lazy and go to the pick and pull and don my trusty tape measure!

Dunno the exact years, but I believe his leaves came from the older body style. I too don't know if the new ones are different.

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be easier to find one of those anyway. I'll post whatever I find out.

I checked out some dakota sites and it looks like the newer models are spring over, so they probably have less arch.

The springs (and like everything) changed in 96.

You need pre 96 sprigns to get the 4"+ of lift out of them.

im in the process of doing the same myself, just had to wait till school was out!

Right on! I have to go into Phoenix tomorrow so I think I will try to find me a set. Now I know just what to look for! What combination of of leaves are you planning to use?

Im throwing on the longest leaves to support my sagging 3" rancho packs. The rest im going to put onto another Xj to see how much (If any) lift I get and then raise the front appropriately.

David --

Why don't you like the overload leaf? Seems like a good idea to me, especially if you regularly haul loads in your XJ. The overload leaf is basically flat, so unloaded it doesn't contact the rest of the leaf pack except at the center, thus it adds no stiffness and doesn't affect spring rate. It becomes effective only when the load mashes the rear down enough to flatten out the rest of the spring pack.

Sounds to me like you should be running it. A similar overload leaf was standard on all MJs, and is standard on all current Dodge PUs.

wouldnt it limit flex?

As Lucas said, I was concerned that it would limit upward travel of the axle. Although most of the flex comes from droop which wouldn't be affected anyway. I don't use my Jeep to tow anything, do you still think they would be necessary? I can always try both ways (Ahhh, the beauty of the simple natured leaf spring!).

That over load spring will also help limit axle wrap.and help keep your leaves alive longer. When you start flexing to the point that the springs are frowning at you they tend to sag sooner. My RE 3.5s Are not looking as god as they used to and i've torn up a few pack in the past few years tring to play with diffrent set ups.

Thats probably why my poor springs are sagging so badly. My lack of extended bump stops and my shock hoop allow the rear axle to flex pretty well. My springs see a negative arch alot.

I just got back from the junkyard trying to get a set of dakota springs off a 93. It was a U-pull-it and I got all the bolts and nuts off, but couldn't get the bolts through the eyes of the leafs. Im heading back tomorrow with a slegehammer and a vengance.
That overload spring is THICK. Im sticking it in my pack as a fat ass spacer. Also,there is no doubt about the heavy arch of the pack, Im wondering if 2 leaves will give me too much lift.

Lucas --

You're not going to run the main leaf, so why fight it? Remove the spring clips and center bolt and take the other leaves home loose.

The Dakota's overload leaf is not flat. I'm running mine inverted because it DID limit flex quite a bit.

as far as the years, Thanks for the info Boz! I pulled mine from a frame that I had trouble even identifying as a Dakota, let alone what year it was.

I didn't say something either way, because I just didn't know. There were no newer dakotas for me to crawl under @ Harry's and other people get a little pissed off when you're crawlin around under their vehicles with a tape measure :D

I tried to go find me a set today but to my dismay, alot of the salvage yards were closed! On a Saturday? I'm going to try again during the week (and I'll take a BFH with!) But Eagles right, not much sense in busting knuckles over parts you won't be using anyway! But I've been there, it's just the principle of the matter!He,He!

constructionxjpics032.jpg

Just cut the eyes off and apply the whole pack to your old main leaf. Leave the dakota main long enough and it really starts to act as your main. Got my wifes springs from a 94 2wd dakota. Spotted a 4wd dakota and notice it looks like it has a factory aal in a 2wd pack. Hmmm....
constructionxjpics034.jpg

flex is still good and turns like its on rails. A bit truckish ride on the highway. Clears the 31 truxus great...I'd say 4-4.5 lift.

Im trying to keep the main leaf for later use on mine, or another XJ if a little lift is needed. I figure Ill just get the eyes torched off.

If you've seen the rancho packs, its a main eye with the second leaf that is equally long wrapping halfway up the main leaf eye. The next shortest leaf is really short so ther is somewhat of an uneven distribution of weight across the entire pack. Hopefully, running the two pserdo-military wrap rancho leafs, the dakota longest leaf , and then finally the inverted dakota leaf will net a little more lift than I have now, and ride a whole lot softer because Ive eliminated a lot of the shorter, stiffer leaves and replaced them (and their height) with the dakota overload spring. If this doesn't make sense, Ill be sure to post before and after pics.

Im going back to the junkyard today to pillage small parts off an 88 XJ, the rear brakes off a ZJ, and the 93 dakota leaves all for a NUTTY low price.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the spring eye bolts out? You can't get a socket behind them, and a crecent wrench only allows like a 1/4 turn (there are a lot of threads too!). I sprayed everything down heavily with PB before I left, so hopefully that helped.

Back