• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Ready to Change Exhaust

javajeep

NAXJA Forum User
My 1997 has a hole in the muffler. This morning I was warming the Jeep and it was dripping water from the hole in the muff, as well as the tailpipe.

Two questions:

I searched and read a lot of threads on here about muffler reccomendations. However, most are about an upgrade in sound. I don't really care about an upgrade in sound. In fact, I would be very happy with a "stock" sound. Any recommendations for this?

Also, with 135k on the clock in a 1997 vintage --- does anyone recommend changing the cat, just because it is old and I am working on the exhaust anyway?

OK -- a THIRD question ---

I have searched the threads, a lot of people talk about sawing or using a blow torch to get the old muff off. I really enjoy turning a wrench, but I am a little afraid of fire (at least underneath a car) and I don't have a sawzall (recommended in another thread). Do I need to buy a sawzall for this job, or do you think a rubber mallet will do it without doing damage to other parts of the jeep?

Thanks --- this forum has saved me a few bucks by making it possible for me to work on my own vehicles. Now that I have a few coins in my pocket, I have learned that I kinda like working on my own cars. Take care.

a flame that close to your fuel could be a bad thing, another low-buck idea is a drill with a cut off disc. but if you ever plan to cut anything metal ever step up and buy a die grinder. or you can rent this or a sawzall (also reccommended)

edit: just remebeer measure twice, cut once, and once its cut, its a heck of alot tougher to re attach, than to have cut it right to begin with. what im sayin is cut the muffler, and avoid cutting the connector if it is good condition.

as for the converter, idk, we do not have emission tests here, so i couldnt tell ya when to change it. but i recall hearing on average, everything in front of the muffler usually lasts 2-3 muffler changes.

Last edited:
water dripping out the tail pipe and muffler, if it has a weep hole, is normal.

as for a muffler, i got a walker for 28$ at autozone. same sound as stock,

sawzall is not needed but makes it easier. i have used just a hack saw many times to cut off an exhaust. it takes time but can be done.

Hello,
I just recently did a muffler and tailpipe on my 99 cherokee.
I bought a usa made muffler and tailpipe with three clamps for around $60.00 at the local parts store.
I used a metabo grinder with a cut-off wheel and first cut off the tailpipe off after the muffler.
Next, make a small cut on just the outer pipe (front of muffler) and used a chisel and hammer to split the connection, almost like peeling the metal back.
Some pb blaster, a few wiggles back and forth and it came off fairly easy for a stock rustly muffler.
It was a fairly straightforward job. You could inspect the cat when you get the muffler off and look for deteriation of the honeycomb, but I would check it first before replacing.
You could poss. hacksaw the front outer pipe at a angle until you are able to open it up with a chisel-just try not to damage the male part of the cat, you want to get a good seal with a u-clamp without crushing the ipe.
Hope that hepls.
Kevin

if you want to go upgraded exhaust, you can try Gibson. I bought and got it installed on my XJ. Sounds good, pretty quiet, and no more issue w/ exhaust leak.

Back