• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking noise help ...on heat to a/c.

Interceptor429

NAXJA Forum User
Ive tried searching but to no avail....my heater / ac is making a v licking noise when changed from heat to cool on the dail just as ut hits the blue line clicking starts.....sny thoughts or help im new to jeeps.. thanks in advance I have a 2001 60th anniversary edition graysilver. 201,000 odometer. Runs great heats great but ....clicking is stoppi g me from.checkinh a/c ....HELP PLEASE

It's probably the blend door actuator. First stop will be to the parts store for a Chilton repair manual. Don't bother with Haynes manuals, they're junk. I've never had to do one on an XJ, but I don't remember them being that hard to get at.

The clicking you are hearing is likely the A/C clutch engaging then disengaging prematurely due to low refrigerant charge.

Open the hood, put it in "click" mode and watch / listen to the A/C clutch.

Normal operation is for it to engage and remain until the pressure reaches a low point prior to the evaporator beginning to freeze, then it disengages, the pressure and evap temp rise, the clutch engages again and the cycle repeats............
The A/C temp is regulated by a pressure switch and not through a thermostat or thermistor control.

Back