• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark plug gap?

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching didn't really find anything that answered my question. I have a 91 4.0HO running champion truck plugs. I am trying to find the best gap to give me the best combination of performance and fuel economy. I read in JP that you can increase the gap to help a little with MPG, how much is to much??? Thanks in advance. Paul

.35 for almost all chrysler products, and even my scouts run this as their specs. Hope that helps

Jeff

I've heard that increasing the gap helps mileage also. I don't know of any controlled study of various gap performances, but I usually run my plug gaps about 5 larger than factory specs. So for the 4.0, I run the plugs at 40 instead of 35.

I've also upgraded my plug wires to solid core with a spiral winding to supress radio interference. The solid core wires give a stronger spark, better able to jump the larger gap.

I use Accel "U-Groove" plugs, which apparently spread the spark out to a larger surface area, which is also helpful (if you believe their hype).

And one last note: I've heard that in the summer time, you can get away with a larger gap than in winter, because of harder starting in the winter. Don't know if that's true or not.

Last edited:
Back