• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS rear shock axle relocation brackets

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have experience with the JKS rear shock axle relocation brackets?

http://jksmfg.com/i-9052781-fab-rear-axle-shock-mount.html

With the pinion rotated up a couple of degrees for the SYE, my shock mounts aren't the same height anymore. They are about 1" different side to side. The drivers side bushing has turned egg shaped over time.

It looks like these would allow you to run shorter shocks with even travel and more ground clearance.

DPG recommends them. I don't have a welder so I'd have to get some help or pay to do this.

I suppose the other alternative is simply to reweld the existing brackets so they're level.

Since I'm planning on putting in some new shocks (mine are done) I'm trying to get some ideas before I buy since it will affect the shock length that I buy.

Thanks!

I went with the double shear bracket design Ruff Stuff sells. These brackets are good for ground clearance and correcting their alignment to your raised pinion angle but it does leave you with a much shorter stroke shock if mounted to the OE body location - just an heads up there.

Only advantage of running the single shear like JKS sells is bushing preloading and easy shock install. You have to weld the Ruff Stuff assembly in place with the tab distance .03-.06" tighter than a shock bushing length at rest. Keeps them from jiggling around. So you'll need to do some test fitting before a final burn in if you go with these. I went with them in case I dropped down on a rock - they're really solid.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SBSIDEMT.html

3182B64B-72C8-4A07-BB92-8ABAB615107E-1336-00000164413AC4E5.jpg

RefreshSwap2_zps513a9712.jpg

I used the Zone Offroad shock mounts that i bought from Amazon. Just about the same thing as the JKS kit but 1/2 the price. Came with all needed hardware, single shear, the usual shock stud arrangement. It moved my shock mounts up 3" from stock, they are 3/16" thick. I burned them on with a crappy 90 amp welder but can still jack the rear of the Jeep by the shock mounts, so I'm not too worried.
For $40, I'm pleased.

Another free alternative is the old GoJeep method:

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearShockM.htm

I have done this on a couple of rigs without issue. It doesn't get you all the clearance of new mounts, but it gets you some, and it also lets you get the mounts level again.

Saves the hassle of having to remove the existing mounts as well. Pretty easy to do while everything is still bolted up under the jeep.

x3 i have the ruffstuff mounts as well.

I recently installed the JKS mounts on my 01 XJ, and I also have the RC BPE's in the upper location. I just don't kno what shock length to go with. RC tells me to use the shock for a 0-1" lift (part # 20085), oh btw I have a 2" RC lift, but idk. The measurement of the shock they recommend is 19.69" extended and 12.41" collapsed. I have a measurement of 15.25" from the center of the lower to the center of the BPE. Any suggestions?

I don't want to bottom out and screw something up, and I have been considering the JKS Crossover mount to give me some more options. I just dunno.

Since welding is involved anyways. The least expensive solution is to cut off your current mounts and make them basically like the JKS ones. But otherwise, the poly performance ones are probably the best.

I thought I had a better picture, but....
FH000003_zps7ri2m9nc.jpg

Back