• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idea: Exhaust tip "buckle zone"

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
So after crushing my last exhaust system and destroying almost the entire pipe (including cracking the manifold), I had an idea for a "buckle zone" on the exhaust to help allow the exhaust to safely exit the vehicle but would also allow the exhaust tip to safely buckle if it were to be hit, preferably in such a way it could be taken off with little or no use of tools. Anyone have any ideas how you'd go about doing this?

yah, its called a hack saw blade. it has come to the rescue of many trail repairs including crushed tail pipe

yah, its called a hack saw blade. it has come to the rescue of many trail repairs including crushed tail pipe
Last time my tail pipe took a hit, this happened:

I'm not talking about tapping the exhaust tip on the ground during normal trail rides, I'm talking about rolling back into something and having the exhaust system fold up under the vehicle. I want a "collapsible" tip to help prevent this future damage.

I just cut my exhaust before my rear shackle. It gets real tight between my boomerang shackle, hitch, and fuel skid!

And they were still able to emissions test it too! They had to use an adapter but....it passed.

I you search the some exhaust sites they will have a product that is made to flex some. It's made out of stainless mesh.

Called a flex pipe. They don't flex near as much as you would think, though. Another option is a section of the "do it yourself" muffler bend that's corrugated and designed to be flexed into whatever bend it needs to be. If that were used as the last bend or two, it could flex quite a bit before damage occurred to the rest of the exhaust system.

what did he say?:shhh:

You should know......its Texan for "looky here what I found!"

exhaustdepot_2046_2937858

Not really what Hubba is asking for, but these are actually designed to reduce stress in the exhaust system. I installed one last month in my Jeep, right between the oil pan and tranny.

This might be more along Hubba's thought process......not the cheapest option, but whatever floats yer boat, I guess.
http://store.boatnrv.com/boatnrv/details.php?ITEM=3652771

I think I'll just cut it back a ways and put a tip on it. That way if it does get an impact, the tip will collapse (hopefully) and leave the rest of the pipe alone.

I was thinking about this, because I realized you can mess up the seals between flanges just by hitting the pipe on something, without any visible damage. I think all the parts of the exhaust past the manifold should be able to move. It makes no sense having a long rigid exhaust system... not worth the risk of carbon monoxide getting into the cabin.

I just cut my exhaust before my rear shackle. It gets real tight between my boomerang shackle, hitch, and fuel skid!

And they were still able to emissions test it too! They had to use an adapter but....it passed.
Make sure that the exhaust is directed away from your shackle... or you'll melt bushings. I had to add a turn down tip.

There is a slight turn down before the bushing. Although my Rusty's bushings are nonexistent anyway. When I pop in new bushings I'll take a better look at it, possibly add a bigger turn down. Seems like the way to go instead of having it stick all of the way out the back under the bumper though. And still alot better than having it dump under the cab!

Also Advance Automotive sells flexpipe (different than the "real" flexpipe shown above and used on cars from the factory) for cheap and it does basically the same job and available in a few lengths..

Mine did the same thing. I tried going up a hill, and my ehaust dragged over a bump at the beginning. Well I couldn'y make it up the hill and had to back, back down over the bump again. The tailpipe jammed into the hill and bent under my rear axle. Thank you hacksaw blade.

Mine did the same thing. I tried going up a hill, and my ehaust dragged over a bump at the beginning. Well I couldn'y make it up the hill and had to back, back down over the bump again. The tailpipe jammed into the hill and bent under my rear axle. Thank you hacksaw blade.
I bought an exhaust pipe cutter (from when I did the manifold swap...$30, yikes) and just cut off the pipe until it's about in line with my gas tank skid. Should solve that problem. Now my exhaust has a really throaty rumble to it in the cab too... maybe I should invest in a $10 tip.

Back