• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shift lever movement

Rooster71

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 97 XJ and was trying out the 4wd. It has the NP231. When going from 2H to 4 H, the lever only moves about an inch. Is that right? It seems to go into 4wd. It does have a 2 or 3 inch lift so maybe the linkage is affected. I was expecting it to line up with the 4H on the console, but it is way off. Kind of hard to get into 4L, but it goes.

Google "NP231 shift linkage adjustment jeep Cherokee"
Bet you find something.
Most common XJ repair and adjustments have been well documented and can be found by searching, many have multiple Youtube videos.
If you plan on long term ownership, a Factory manual for your year XJ can be worth its weight in gold.

The lever should pretty much line up with the console markings. As suggested, check the shift mechanism adjustment and inspect the shift mechanism and bushing for misalignment, wear, and damage.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

If you have any issues with the stock linkage. I just bought a 2000 with a 4.5” lift. Turns out my linkage was junk. I ended up going with the Azzy design linkage. Works great.

Back