• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Project - 2.5l to 3.4l

makmadison

NAXJA Forum User
Here we go!

I thought I'd share info as I go along. I have a 1987 XJ, 2.5l, 5-spd manual, all stock, I'm the original owner too.

I just bought, from e-Bay, a 1995 v6 3.4l from a Camaro, EFI, complete harness, computer, came off a car with 4-spd manual, all parts/components are there.

I've gone thru all te threads on engine swaps, so I hope I have a good handle on what to do, what else to buy/find/gather. This project will take me, actually a mechanic friend, a couple of months, but I will post updates as things progress. LOL, I'll be like a surgical assistant, handing over parts, money, whatever to my surgeon/mechanic.

A while back I wrote up a long article on the facts and my theories concerning swapping the fourbanger for the 60* v6s. Please skim through it and make corrections as you discover what actually is going on in the swap as opposed to what I *think* should happen. :D It's at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeepcomanche/ and it's the first item in the Files folder. You'll need to sign in to view it though, so if you'd rather not, email me at [email protected] and I'll email the article to you. I'm itching to get the steps right so I can pass the info on to others.
Jeep on!
--Pete

P.S. It brings a tear to my eye seeing an original owner putting in the extra effort to keep their Jeep. While I'm not the original owner of my MJ (I think I'm like the 5th or 6th), I hung on to it for 2 years after the tranny died while I collected together the parts for a 4x4 conversion. I just couldn't let go of her. :D

I know of other people who are contemplating the 2.5L ==> 3.4L swap, so a comprehensive write-up will be much appreciated. I suspect our archivist would be easily persuaded to put it into the technical archives for posterity if it's done well.

Thanks, I've your doc, I will send you comments, etc as I learn.

LOL, I'm the original owner, and its the first vehicle I ever owned, so this Jeep has a special place in my heart. It was built/assembled in August 1986 in Canada, I bought it in Bellflower, CA in Jan 1987 for $14.5k. I think the only option on it was AC, no radio, just a basic XJ. LOL, this is fun!

Pete M said:
A while back I wrote up a long article on the facts and my theories concerning swapping the fourbanger for the 60* v6s. Please skim through it and make corrections as you discover what actually is going on in the swap as opposed to what I *think* should happen. :D It's at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeepcomanche/ and it's the first item in the Files folder. You'll need to sign in to view it though, so if you'd rather not, email me at [email protected] and I'll email the article to you. I'm itching to get the steps right so I can pass the info on to others.
Jeep on!
--Pete

P.S. It brings a tear to my eye seeing an original owner putting in the extra effort to keep their Jeep. While I'm not the original owner of my MJ (I think I'm like the 5th or 6th), I hung on to it for 2 years after the tranny died while I collected together the parts for a 4x4 conversion. I just couldn't let go of her. :D

My 86 is like that too. The only options were the 2.8L (which is actually a downgrade to me, but makes the future 3.4L swap even easier), the metric tonne package, and A/C (which stopped working long before it came into my hands). Nothing else. :) Please email me when you post updates, I don't want to miss anything.
Jeep on!
--Pete

88 project MJ, 86 worker MJ, 89 parts MJ

Back