• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer wiring

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I had a question maybe someone could answer.. I have a 1988 Cherokee and recently I had to replace the rear bumper from all the rust. After removing the bumper, I found a factory trailer wiring harness. It was still sealed from the factory, split loom tubing and clamped along the lower edge of the body. The only thing is, this flat 4 way plug looks bigger than the standard flat trailer plug. Anyone run into this?? I know this is 100% factory, not aftermarket. Rather than tear into this to wire things up for my trailer, I was hoping to find an adapter to convert to standard flat 4.

Call your local Jeep dealer I will bet money that they will have an adapter that will plug in and it probably is not to expensive either if in fact what you have found is a trailer wire harness. I have not heard of this before Because most of them that came with a tow package had the standard 7 prong round housing with flat terminal. Give it a try.

Joe

After some diagram research I think I found what you are talikng about. From a really crappy picture it appears that the harness you fond is made to hook to a wiring adaptor which includes circut brakers for the factory 7 pin hook up I talked of earlier. If I am correct the adaptor will not be inexpesive but it stll woth a call to the dealer.
Joe

That's the standard factory wiring from the trailer prep option. Look under the rear seat. There should be the mating connector with pigtails for wiring into your own standard 4-pole flat connector. If it isn't there, I believe you can still order the pigtain through Jeep dealers.

yes...you can get it from the jeep dealer...
depending on if yo want trailer brakes hooked up, the blue wire is in the driver side kick panel, marked for brakes, that you need to hook up to your controller

Back