• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anything To Soak Block And Internals iN to Remove Rust before Assembly???

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just as asked, i got a new motor i'm gonna be assembling but from sitting outside for a while before i took ownership it has gotten some rust on the crank journals and the block, specifically in the coolant passages and cylinder walls. Just wondering if there is anything out there that i can use to make a solution that will just take the rust right off. I'm planning to just take a big drum, put the block in it and let it sit in the solution for however long it takes. None of the rust is pitted in the cylinder walls so i'll just re-hone them after the block soaks for a while. Also what can i use to polish the crank up real nice after the rust is taken off??

thanx,

eric

I would take it to an engine shop and have it "hot tanked."

I agree with Eagle. Hot tanking at a machine shop gets ALL the crud out of every nook and cranny of the block. The one thing you WILL have to do if you hot tank the block is put in a new set of camshaft bearings. The hot tanking WILL eat them up (as in DISSOLVE them.) Any good machine shop will have the proper tools to do this for you.

For the crank, buff the journals with crocus cloth.

we get $30.00 to hot tank, and $10.00 to install cam bearings. only problem is hot tanking will net remove all the rust....

scot

We have a 100 gallon Mineral spirits tank we use for cleaning motorcycle engines before reassmbly. Get a 55 gallon drum, some brushes and a lot of spirits an soak and brush the block. The spirits might get expensive but they can be used for years

mineral spirits? never even heard the term before, what are they and where would i go and get them from?

eric

Mineral spirits is paint thinner. It won't remove rust, it's for degreasing. It sounds like the engine you have was already degreased once, and then set aside for a long time.

thats exactly what happened to it, sat around outside for a very long time, it was never used, but sat outside for years.

Back