• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound AND heat deadening

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
Most of you have seen my XJ in a recent post. Its comming close enough to get the interior put together. I am planning on bedlining the floor with durabak. But I dont have a dash or firewall insulation anymore.

I am thinking about getting that dynomat stuff then covering it with bedliner. Does anyone have experience with that stuff and heat? I would like to cover the entire firewall. What you think?

Or any other ideas to keep heat out and sound?

Matt

If you do and the budget is tight, I would advise getting Dynamat Xtreme as it has the metal backing. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kJg9HT9sThu/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181250&I=15410455&search=dynamat

Somthing else to look into is Dynaplate - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kJg9HT9sThu/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181250&I=15413105&search=dynamat this would be my choice for your situation as it works very well for sound deadening AND heat reflection (the d-mat xtreme works the same just this is better...)

My experience with this stuff is that I have no bad things to say about it... it works extremely well and makes a noticeible difference. You can find these on eBay for about 1/2 the price as crutchfield so don't let that scare ya... ( yes still the Dynamat brand, DONT get that "brownbread" "fatmat" BS)

Scrappy said:
What would you think about bedlining over that stuff?

BTW thanks for the links

Matt

The plate is ridgid and tends not to flex, so I wouldn't see a problem with that one...

The mat has more of a, say, aluminum foil stretched over modeling clay feel. Once it is applied to the bare metal and rolled on real well, it does not really flex. I can push on it really hard and make a indentation with my finger... I guess bedliner woulnt be the best choice with that since the aluminum backing on the mat would peel from the rubber layer of the mat... unless you put the bed liner on thick and worked the bedliner edges into bare metal of the chasis.

Great help!

What would you recomend as a permanent covering for that stuff. I would be willing to do bedliner on all but the firewall. As long as whatever goes on the firewall is waterproof and up for abuse from weather. I have no doors, no hatch, and eventually no top. Got any good ideas to add?

Scrappy said:
Great help!

What would you recomend as a permanent covering for that stuff. I would be willing to do bedliner on all but the firewall. As long as whatever goes on the firewall is waterproof and up for abuse from weather. I have no doors, no hatch, and eventually no top. Got any good ideas to add?

Well heres a great option... Why not use the spray on deadener (above link) UNDER the body, use the bedliner inside, and use the Dynamat extreme on the firewall. That would be your best bet I believe.

HMMMM i like that!! I am looking for pricing now. That may be a alternative to doing bedliner all together! THe Durabak is 100 bucks. I guess as long as this stuff is under 300 i will be ok.

OH DAMN! 90 bucks a gallon! You have any experience with this? I really think I am going to use this. Seems like the best option.

matt

edit: this is mostly for the firewall area. And i dont want anysort of crap on the bottom, makes welding really a pain in the butt. Krylon is my friend down there.

hey, my truck is rattle-canned and i've tried every common brand/type of spray paint. it costs a little more, but Rustoleum Professional (shiny silver can) is amazing and the only way to go for stuff that needs some abrasive resistance, and the regular Rustoleum is plenty for stuff that never gets touched.

(i'm done hi-jacking now, i swear)

Scrappy said:
Most of you have seen my XJ in a recent post. Its comming close enough to get the interior put together. I am planning on bedlining the floor with durabak. But I dont have a dash or firewall insulation anymore.

I am thinking about getting that dynomat stuff then covering it with bedliner. Does anyone have experience with that stuff and heat? I would like to cover the entire firewall. What you think?

Or any other ideas to keep heat out and sound?

Matt

Consider also getting some paint with procelain pieces in it: it's specificaly made to act as a sound and temperature insulation. There is a thread floating around here someplace (dated someplace between AUgust and Nov of last year) where it's mentioned. I know someone here had a can or two and I know Mark (Hinkley) was talking to the guy about picking up whatever he had left over (you might want to ask him if he remembers).
Anyways Bedliner won't do much for you when it comes to heat protection (it might deaden some sound though).

Well... I ended up bedlining. Did not take the heat at all. Since then, the XJ has been cut to scrap! I can tell you my NEW plan as an update. Strip entire floor, firewall, and back of cab (MJ). Install dynamat sound deadening mat, reinstall firewall insulation, install new rubber flooring over all of this (including back of cab), and toss some super heavy duty mud catcher floor mats in it. This time, its not in a buggy, and I want it to really be quite AND look good.

dothedew24_7 said:
If you do and the budget is tight, I would advise getting Dynamat Xtreme as it has the metal backing. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kJg9HT9sThu/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181250&I=15410455&search=dynamat

Somthing else to look into is Dynaplate - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kJg9HT9sThu/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181250&I=15413105&search=dynamat this would be my choice for your situation as it works very well for sound deadening AND heat reflection (the d-mat xtreme works the same just this is better...)

My experience with this stuff is that I have no bad things to say about it... it works extremely well and makes a noticeible difference. You can find these on eBay for about 1/2 the price as crutchfield so don't let that scare ya... ( yes still the Dynamat brand, DONT get that "brownbread" "fatmat" BS)
How much of this is needed for a Cherokee?

Last edited:
Well, I think I just made my decision...
-->LINK<--
Brand: Design Engineering, Inc. (DEI)
Product Line: DEI Floor and Tunnel Shields
Part Type: Floor Heat Barriers
Length (in): 48.000 in.
Width (in): 42.000 in.
Maximum Ambient Temperature (F): 1,750 degrees F
Installation: Self-adhesive
Quantity: Sold as a kit.

Floor and Tunnel Shield, 48 in. x 42 in., Each

Control heat and reduce road noise.
DEI's floor and tunnel shields add a new dimension to heat control with minimal clearance needed--only 3/16 in.! Constructed utilizing an embossed aluminum face bonded to a composite fiberglass insulation and backed with an aggressive adhesive that holds past 450 degrees F., they're capable of handling direct temperatures up to 1750 degrees F. These shields are tough enough for under vehicle applications. They're great as a sound barrier, blocking out up to 50 percent of unwanted road noise. Self adhesive for easy installation, these shields can be cut with tin snips to any shape to suit your application.

Bedliner inside and that stuff underneath and on the firewall. It might be a PITA prep'ing the under carraige, but this sounds like exactly what I was looking for.
Billy

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56527

Semi write up for installing some of it. Looks like that person used about 160 sq feet.

;)
Scrappy said:
Sound deadening material? For what? Just put 4 12" subs and that will deaden the other sounds. :D Or Just get used to saying "What!?"

Ok ok. Maybe this could work?? Just an idea. Stuff House insulation in all those little crevaces behind all the paneling, then bedline the interior and put carpet over it! Yes?

MATT
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22605

Back