NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 15th, 2013, 20:19
NAXJA Forum User

Need advice on replacing XJ driver's door latch

Searched, didn't find a "how to" write up on replacing the door latch mechanism on the driver's door. Got the new part from the dealer. Can anyone who has done this job provide some pointers? Any tricks or things to watch out for? Better yet, have I just not found the "how to" write up on this procedure? Replacing the driver's door latch on a 2000 XJ two door with manual (not electric) locks.
Old June 15th, 2013, 20:44
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Need advice on replacing XJ driver's door latch

It's kind of a no brainier. You might need an impact to get the TORX screws out, but I doubt it.

Just keep track of which rod goes where and you will be okay. Maybe raid your wife's/girlfriend's/ next door transvestite's supply of nail polish and mark them in different colors. But I just use masking tape and a marker to number them.

Small hands would help too.

Oh... Roll the window up before you start.
Old June 16th, 2013, 22:11
NAXJA Member

Patience and small hands! I posses neither but I have been able to replace a few of them.
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:23
Gone but not forgotten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_MudButt View Post
Maybe raid next door transvestite's supply of nail polish.
you've been to Ocean View, Va?
Old June 17th, 2013, 18:47
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks, all. Gonna get my girlfriend to supply the nail polish and small hands for this one.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:28
NAXJA Forum User

OK, so this was easier that I thought it would be. Start to finish, less than 25 minutes. Didn't even need by girlfriends smaller hands. Note to future readers: keep your other door unlocked. Once you get everything in place you may find that pushing the door button on the outside does not do anything. Don't panic. Open the door from inside, find the adjusting screw hole on the top of the latch through the kinda oval hole on the door frame, get the appropriate mm hex key and tighten the adjuster down the place where the outside door push button works well.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 16:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand-Dog View Post
OK, so this was easier that I thought it would be. Start to finish, less than 25 minutes. Didn't even need by girlfriends smaller hands. Note to future readers: keep your other door unlocked. Once you get everything in place you may find that pushing the door button on the outside does not do anything. Don't panic. Open the door from inside, find the adjusting screw hole on the top of the latch through the kinda oval hole on the door frame, get the appropriate mm hex key and tighten the adjuster down the place where the outside door push button works well.
Good to know. I need to replace mine soon.