• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ - P0700, P0743 error code

keithmo

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks for reading my post. I have a 98 XJ that I bought brand new and it currently has around 118K miles. The Jeep runs great and I just finished putting a new exhaust and catalytic converter on it. I was driving to work the other day and noticed the CEL came on so I did a scan and the error codes of P0700 - Trans Control Sys Malfunction and P0743 - Torque Converter Circuit Electrical was displayed.

I reset the errors and noticed the CEL went out but it came back. The Jeep seems to run great, I have not noticed and issues with the transmission shifting and the Jeep idles fine at stops.

Is this something that is expensive to fix ? Should I be leary driving the Jeep around town ? Like I mentioned it seems to be running fine.

I noticed in some threads on the forum that some people actually measure the resistance of the solenoids, is that more accurate than the scanner ?

Where is the location of the connector that you measure the solenoids ? Are their any pictures of the location ?

Thanks for any info, I would hate to get rid of the Jeep but I do not want to spend a ton of money on it either.

Thanks Keith

Keith,
FWIW, my 98 throws the exact same 2 codes about every other month. They will stay gone the 3rd time I clear them. I've been driving it this way for a little over a year with no issues...

I'm sure someone here can chime in with the real answer, but I'm cheap and lazy - if it seems to be driving OK, I'm not gonna worry with it!!

Back