• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opening a can of worms - coil springs

notamechanic

NAXJA Forum User
alright yall. Who’s got the best coil springs for 4.5-6” of lift. Highest quality and best performing not considering king or fox coil overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's like asking what's the best gun. What you intend to use your rig for will vary what is the best spring for YOUR needs.

If you give a Little more info, many here have very good knowledge on what works well.

I.m.o. you also want to consider a shock that compliments the spring.

That's like asking what's the best gun. What you intend to use your rig for will vary what is the best spring for YOUR needs.

If you give a Little more info, many here have very good knowledge on what works well.

I.m.o. you also want to consider a shock that compliments the spring.

Smart.

Use will be for all ca trails, a lot of time spent wheeling around big bear and the sierras, also ride decent on the highway to get to camping spots and trails. Currently have front bumper + winch so there’s a little weight. Running bilstein 5100s.

I am running Rubicon Express 4.5" coils, with a 1" coil spacer with my Dana 44 and 37's and they work great on my rig. That is with fairly heavy front end, I have a hybrid cage, Hanson winch bumper and a winch. I got them fairly cheap $140.00 for both coils. I am running a BDS long arm kit in the front. When I set up my rig, it was all about keeping the COG as low as possible. I can just say for my rig, the RE coils have worked out great.

67696587_10156609773412066_5808414325437628416_o%201_zpsrje4mymp.jpg

I am running Rubicon Express 4.5" coils, with a 1" coil spacer with my Dana 44 and 37's and they work great on my rig. That is with fairly heavy front end, I have a hybrid cage, Hanson winch bumper and a winch. I got them fairly cheap $140.00 for both coils. I am running a BDS long arm kit in the front. When I set up my rig, it was all about keeping the COG as low as possible. I can just say for my rig, the RE coils have worked out great.

67696587_10156609773412066_5808414325437628416_o%201_zpsrje4mymp.jpg

Your rig looks incredible. I’m currently at about 4.5” with 35s and want to go up about an inch or two to try and mitigate some body damage.

The RE coils have been on my watch, currently have zone 4.5. Maybe I’ll just throw some spacers up there for the extra inch.

Anyone run the dual rate coils?

Anyone run the dual rate coils?
I am using the Metalcloak TJ 4.5" dual-rate coils, they give me 4.5" with the winch and heavy bumper out front. Currently have 6" of lift with spacers for the other 1.5". The ride is nice, they are softer than my old RE 3.5" coils but not squishy. I bought them because of the resting length, didn't want them to unseat on downtravel, and they don't.

2019_06_28_NACFest_Trail_20_small.sized.jpg

I run the cloak 3.5 inch springs. I really like them. Paired with the iro 3 link the ride is as good as my stock dd xj. I wanted to start with a low lift and figured with the dual rates I could just add spacers as more lift was needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i am also running the tj 4.5" dual rate metal cloak, they are nice, ride well and feel very flexy i am running acos to get me to just under 6" mine are rubbing my inner c's though just a hair at certain angles. i also got them for the extended length to keep my coils seated. they do well on the road from 0 to 90 and feel good, i have a heavy-ish front bumper, but no winch. i also run 5160 shocks, but they are too short and bottom out before i want them too, so i cant say anything about the go fast on bouncy trails yet. but the combo of them feel good on the road and off.

I have PAC Jeep Speed coils in my MJ and have liked them from day 1. Unfortunately, the Jeep Speed line was discontinued.

I installed IRO 5.5" coils this past winter have have 0 complaints so far.

I never like the Rusty's or the Rough Country springs that were on my rigs when I bought them. They were too soft for my liking offroad

Whoa... That throws my plan out the window then.... Is it a diameter or shape thing that keeps them from fitting?

Min height of the full ACOS is like 1.75" ... Had to remove the adjustable part to get it down

It works for me because I already had it and I like the integrated bumpstop and all that, but they are kind of expensive to buy if you aren't able to use the adjustable parts

Ahhhhh that makes sense. I was afraid it was something to do with the upper rate being compressed.

Back