• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 4 cyl to 6 cyl swap questions.

Vintage Smoke

NAXJA Forum User
First...I have spent quite a bit of time searching(here and google), but didn't come up with much.
I have a pristine 2000 2 door with a 4 cyl 5 speed and a rusty 1999 4 door 6cyl auto. Both are non Cali emissions. The 1999 6 cyl Jeep only has 138K on it and is mechanically sound but really rusty. I have done a bunch of mechanical/maintenance work to it though such as new radiator, water pump, etc. The 2000 2 door is rust free, but the 4 cyl is tired. I am looking to swap the 6 cyl and auto from the rusted 99 into the 2000. I would also like to swap the gauge cluster over since the 4 cyl cluster is the bare bones version with no gauges and only idiot lights.

I am capable of doing all the work and I have a handle on most of the swap such as swapping over motor mounts, radiator & fans, PCM, etc. I am curious if someone could help me out with the little things you normally don't think of such as will the engine harness swap over form the bulk head connector on the firewall forward or is there much cutting/splicing involved. Also..are the gauges plug and play or is there much wiring to swap them?

This is a project for me including a 1 ton swap (D60/70), suspension, etc. I do have a complete Tahoe with a 5.3 that was going to be part of the project, but I would really like to get on the trail for the summer and the cost/work involved for the LS swap will prevent that. Using the 6 cyl for now will let me concentrate my time on the fabrication/suspension work and hopefully do some wheeling this summer.

Any help would be appreciated.

I swapped a 90 4.0 into a 92 and the only thing I really struggled with was connecting the rear wiring harness to the 90 harness. With yours being 99 and 00 they should all hook right up. Just grab the entire front part of the harness for the 6 cylinder. I also didn't have a hole in the firewall for the tcu so I just sealed it up and put in the engine bay over by the heater fan.
Bringing the gauge over was no problem for me (since I grabbed the entire harness I guess) so it shouldn't be for you.

I went from a 2.1l diesel to the 4.0 so I also had to swap out the gas tank. Youre lucky that you have both cars on hand, that way you just grab whatever you need.

Anyways, it's been about 7 years since my swap so I might be forgetting something. Keep us posted on progress.

Back