• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow Chains on 33 x 12.5 x 15 Offroad Tires

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have an upcoming trip that may find snow on the highway, I have 33 x 12.5 x 15 inch, Goodyear Wrangler, Offroad Tires. Big aggressive treads.

I have been told these tires won't do well in snow, that I will need chains. What brand chains are recommended? Who are vendors of big off road tire snow chains? I have checked many of the big 4wd retailers and turned up zip.

I imagine I need fairly large chain links, so that the chain wont fall below the huge deep treads, correct? What size or type links, and pattern are recommended for a tire such as mine with deep huge treads?

What chains do you all use for big tread off road dirt tires for highway snow?

Thanks!

How deep is the snow you are anticipating?

CHP will usually let you on the mountain if you have M+S rated tires and 4WD. I don't think any of the Goodyear Wrangler line isn't M+S. Are they like studded snows? Nope. But keep in mind that while we in CA think it's the end of the world, the majority of the US population trucks around with 2WD cars on all-seasons just fine.

But, if you can't get up there without chains:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142176049408?chn=ps

Cables get my vote for on road use.

BTW, if you've never run chains before, 2 tips:

1. Practice putting them on not in the freezing cold.
2. They really really really suck to drive on. 25mph is about all you'll get before things get too noisy/shaky/risky. Throwing a chain is really bad for the paint...

I drive in the snow a lot. My commute to/from work is almost 2 hours. Three times so far this year I got stuck driving home in a major snowstorm. Don't fear snow. Mud tires with large, widely spaced blocks don't work as well as all terrain tires with lots of little sipes and grooves do, but they will still work well.

Use 4 wheel drive and air down. Airing down will increase your traction as much as shifting into 4 wheel drive will. It makes a HUGE difference. My current XJ daily driver has 31" Goodyear Authority all terrains which are awesome snow tires BTW. Especially when aired down. Our first snowstorm this year was about a foot and it peaked just as I was leaving work. I was still able to maintain a safe 45mph on the highway when everyone else was crawling with their hazzard lights on. I eventually had to get off the highway because of idiots spinning out and crashing into each other. The trip took me over 4 hours, criss crossing through back roads, but even on unplowed back roads I moved right along without issue.

Years ago I had a TJ with 34" Super Swamper TSL's. Even they did fine in the snow when they were aired down. On one cross country trip I managed to hit a slushy snow storm on a long stretch of highway in Wyoming pulling out people (and one state trooper) along the way as well as a 2 feet deep blizzard going over a mountain somewhere in SD with no problem. Yes...I was that young and dumb kid who grabbed a girl and drove cross country in a Jeep on Swampers! LOL

Snow chains are amazing. I use them on my plow truck during bad storms and they make you almost unstoppable on snow covered roads. But they SUCK. Loud, noisy, rattle and shake all over the place if you try to travel more than about 20mph as was mentioned. Nothing sucks more than untangling and installing a set of chains while getting wet and cold out in the snow. Especially if you have to remove them 30 minutes later when you get to clear road. For a road trip where I suspected bad road conditions I might bring a set of chains only to run if the conditions were so bad that I couldn't keep traveling without them or if I got stuck and absolutely needed them.

I had 33 Goodyear duratracs. I have chains that I bought from Walmart that work just fine. They really won't get stuck down in the tread. Any chain for that size will be a large enough link. I only carry them hunting or anticipating deep snow. That said, I've never carried them for highway use nor would I want to use them on one. Put it in 4wd and drive smart and you'll be fine. Mud terrains may not be the best for snow pack but they work good in the deep stuff.

Snow chains are good insurance. Odds are if you have them you won't need them. And that is a winning proposition.

I will however suggest that you pack along with the chains a good pair of waterproof gloves. Those should improve your insurance. Or, if worst comes to worst you will actually appreciate having the gloves.

Some other details you should also be considering: Pack a shovel. If you choose to pack along some sand for traction then make sure you get dry sand. Otherwise, when the time comes that you actually need it you will discover you have a nice frozen block of sand. The sand at Home Depot/Lowe's is not necessarily dry. Also note that the washer fluid you can get in Kalifornia is not rated for temperatures below freezing, but as soon as you get to another state you should be able to buy a gallon of the good stuff for a couple bucks.

looks like Autozone has chains, I suppose two pairs are needed. I am concerned about being stopped for not having chains. I heard sometimes even if chains are not mandatory to be installed, sometimes the cops will insist you carry chains before proceeding.

Good point on the washer fluid, Checked the jug, it is a california type that will freeze readily. Dont want a freeze cracked pump!

thanks!

ps yes shovel, gloves, kneeling rubber mat, and such will be carried.

last time I used chains was 40 years ago driving a 63 VW Bus powered by a 1200 cc 40 Hp motor. That Bus travelled at just over walking speed up highway 80 on the steepest grades, and that was without snow and chains. When it did snow, the chains really didnt slow me down!

looks like Autozone has chains, I suppose two pairs are needed. I am concerned about being stopped for not having chains. I heard sometimes even if chains are not mandatory to be installed, sometimes the cops will insist you carry chains before proceeding.

If you are just worried about the cops you only really need 1 pair, put it in 4WD and put them on in the front so you have steering and braking. 2 pair would be nice for extra traction, but I suspect cops would close the roads before you really need them. You can buy two pair, not open the second pair unless you absolutely need them, and then return the second if you don't.

Also, Walmart sells windshield washer booster that lowers the freezing point of the stuff you got. You can also get the lower freezing point bug juice once you get out of the cities.

Last edited:
CHP will usually let you on the mountain if you have M+S rated tires and 4WD. I don't think any of the Goodyear Wrangler line isn't M+S. Are they like studded snows? Nope. But keep in mind that while we in CA think it's the end of the world, the majority of the US population trucks around with 2WD cars on all-seasons just fine.

But, if you can't get up there without chains:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142176049408?chn=ps

Cables get my vote for on road use.

Nobody cares about M+S, its not actually a rating. My tires are M+S but they are 16 ply truck tires that are worthless in the snow.

But that holds true if you have the 3 peaks certified tires. Look for this logo on the tire:

realSize_298.1257_169_resized_300x169_goodyear-dunlop-winter-tire-marking_tcm2447-146138.jpg

the small chains are really all you need, much easier to put on that the big ones and won't jar your teeth out. I bought a set off ebay for cheap insurance on a trip to CO about 10 years ago. they worked beautifully. I would also trust them M/T tread tires

Nobody cares about M+S, its not actually a rating. My tires are M+S but they are 16 ply truck tires that are worthless in the snow.

But that holds true if you have the 3 peaks certified tires. Look for this logo on the tire:

realSize_298.1257_169_resized_300x169_goodyear-dunlop-winter-tire-marking_tcm2447-146138.jpg

Snows are epic, yessir.

Just relaying prior experience with the CHP living in the mountains in San Diego.

I see choice of cam secured chains and a spider like rubber tensioner to secure the chains. Which is prefered?
I would think the cam type is better for off roading, and I think the rubber spider tensioner is susceptible to being damaged with road debris, rocks, sticks branches etc...

Is the cam style the better choice?

Thanks

You need both really. The chains will loosen up as the settle in around the tire. The rubber band tensioner helps keep them together. The cam lock just locks the two ends of the chains together.

^^^ That's the way it has worked with all the ones I have owned.

Off road damage in snow?

Is see some manufacturers of chains state they dont need an extra tensioning device....

https://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/traction-product-choices/quik-grip-heavy-duty/

It states that cam type chains do not need the tensioners.

Are the spider like tensioners susceptible to damage off road?

Those are for semis. You will be glad you used the rubber band. I've yet to damage one but they are cheap to replace. Getting the chains as tight as I can the rubber bands will still tighten the chains up a lot as the settle on the tire. And they will help keep the chain from slinging loose around the tire.

+1 on the rubber tensioner.

The rubber is able to sort of "self-adjust" in a fashion that the cam is not able to do.

However, your quality of life may be better if you keep the rubber bands in a place where they can be kept a bit warmer. Not likely to be an issue if you keep your chains inside the vehicle, but if you are likely to carry them on the outside (roof rack? Truck bed if an MJ) it might be worth it to grab the rubber bands and put them inside.

Back