• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

[GEEK] Need a Budget Video card that can handle HD video editing?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for "Last year's model" type card here.. something that the crazy gamers/editors have said "Pshhh.. thats old news"..

Anyone recommend one? ATI? Diablos? PNY?

I just built a new computer and the onboard video can't even handle Photoshop elements

JOe

I'm a personal fan of the Nvidia chipset's such as EVGA, XFX any thing in the geforce 8 series line. With about 512mb mem and pci-e x16 you can get most supporting direct x 10 for under $100 on tigerdirect and newegg. In my gaming computer I'm running EVGA Geforce 8800GTS and it will play anything I throw at it.

x2 on the GeForce 8800GTS, I recently bought a second one for SLI gaming since they are so cheap now. My first one was an EVGA and it's been great, my second one was the cheapest brand I could find, and they both seem to work about the same.

Mine are the 640MB variety, which are even older than dave92cherokee's 512MB, they are the "extra wide" cards that use a second slot for the giant heatsink and fan.

Also, the new 9600GTs seem to be about the same performance level as the old 8800s, and the price is pretty similar.

As far as ATi goes, I've heard good things about the 4850 and 4870 cards, but they seem to be a bit more expensive.

Back