• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle relocation/F-150 springs (writeup w/pics)

TRAILREADYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
To start, I have had several inquiries about my rear spring setup, so I’ve decided to put it all in one place, as well as add some general shackle info. This is only for the rear, and I recommend quality lift parts in the front.

Since I first lifted my XJ, I have used some form of “bastard pack” in the rear. I started with a 2” BB that grew into 3”, then 4.5”… I always had great success going this route, and at 2-3.5” the ride was great. At 4.5” it wasn’t bad, but I felt there was room for improvement.

The problems:

Aside from the fact that by adding leaves that are stiffer or higher arched, your shackle angle had a HUGE impact on how the pack will perform! By adding more arch to the XJ main, the eyes are pulled closer together, causing the shackle angle to get worse. Once you get to the point the shackle is pointing forward at ride height, it has to fight itself and the weight of the Jeep when the spring compresses. This also severely limits droop, as the shackle is already in the “ideal drooped position”.

Another issue is in the stock shackle mount itself. With the way it’s designed there is not a whole lot of travel, and getting an ideal shackle angle is impossible without use of a boomerang shackle. Ideally you want the shackle to sit about 45* toward the rear at ride height. Without a boomerang, the shackle hits the rear cross member too soon. A boomerang shackle will increase travel, however they will do NOTHING to correct the shackle angle.

Here is an example of the limited travel allowed by the stock mount using a regular drop shackle.
DSCF2236.jpg

Solutions:

Several members here have made relocation mounts for the shackles. This can be done on any setup to improve the ride and flex! The general idea is to relocate the mount to improve the shackle angle, as well as free up travel. Another benefit is this gives lift, allowing for a flatter leaf pack. As a general rule, the flatter the pack, the better it will perform. Here is another thread with relocation mounts http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=943105

Here are some mounts I made for a friends build. He is running “bastardized” RC spring packs and RC shackles. This thing will be at about 8”, but this can be used with smaller lifts as well.
Here is the top mount that slides into the factory pocket (very unfinished in this pic)
DSCF2240.jpg

DSCF2244.jpg

Mounted:
DSCF2254.jpg

DSCF2258.jpg

The only real negatives I have found with this setup is the simple fact the rear springs hang down lower. I have dragged mine over rocks a lot, but it has never caused any issues or snags. I wouldn’t recommend this for lifts smaller than 4.5” though.

Now for the F-150 part:

As I mentioned earlier, a flatter spring pack will ride better. In addition, the longer the pack is, less arch is needed to achieve a given amount of lift. Toyota guys often swap 63” Chevy springs in for this very reason.

I happened to have some spring packs from a F-150 I used to build bastards out of. After some comparison, I found these may be perfect for my goals. They are probably from an 80s to early 90s truck, definitely pre-97 as they are different from my 97 F-150. The packs have 4 leaves including the main, plus an overload.

The only negative is the bushings are smaller, and do not allow as much flex before the spring starts to bend. I was somewhat concerned by this, however my XJ pretty much a trail only rig so I gave it a shot. I have ran this setup for a couple years now, and aside from a small axle wrap issue (explained later), I haven’t had any problems.

I can not remember the exact measurements, but the F-150 main was about 5” longer overall, with about a 2” difference in the centering pin location.

I had the centering pin part down from the start. The spring perches on my 8.25 have 3 holes, 1 round, 2 square. I simply drilled the rear hole to fit the larger F-150 centering pin, and the spring plate to match. You may need degree shims to set the pinion angle, and these will also need to be drilled with an offset hole.
Not the best pic...
DSCF1777.jpg

This placed the wheel about ½” further back than stock, but that was fine with me and worked with my current driveshaft. I may get flamed for this, but I am running the stock driveshaft :shock: . Believe it or not, at 5.5” I have NO vibes! I am running a 8.25 with a D35 driveshaft, YJ yoke, and T-case drop. I also made my degree shims to set the pinion angle perfect, so this may not be for everyone. Anyway…

Now something had to be done in the rear. I built a new mount to relocate the shackle. I made the one pictured earlier a bolt on, but I made mine different, and it’s bolted and welded in. It’s also obvious the shackle mount is further back to accommodate the longer spring.
DSCF1071.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

DSCF1776.jpg

Initially, my spring pack was made from 5 leaves total. I added an extra F-150 leaf to it and removed the overload. This gave me about 6.5” or so, but I decided that was just too much, and I removed the extra spring to get 5-5.5”. I ran it this way for several months, and loved the ride and flex! It matched the front very well (Rusty’s 4.5” springs + spacer).

Now for my axle wrap issue… I ended up warping a spring pretty good at Callalantee last summer. Granted I wasn’t being gentle at the time, I felt ½ ton springs wouldn’t be much of a problem….wrong.
callalantetrip153.jpg

callalantetrip154.jpg

The problem is in removing the overload. Originally it helps fight axle wrap, but it also gets in the way off-road, and tends to scoop stuff up with it. I haven’t had time to build new packs, and just threw another set of stock f-150 springs in for now, but I have a solution for this problem. The F-150 leaves are rather long, and it doesn’t have the shorter leaves to fight the wrap. To maintain my ride height, I plan on removing a f-150 leaf, and adding a couple XJ leaves, staggering them evenly. More to come on that one…

Last edited:
Here is a before and after comparison. This was with the 5 leaf pack.
DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

This is with the 4 leaf pack
DSCF2035.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

Here is a XJ with a 4.5" Rusty's pack for reference
DSCF2039.jpg

I probably forgot something....
Questions? Comments?

Aww Hell!.. Thanks A Lot! I just now spent about an hour suscribing to your postings from various other threads trying to track info and..

I performed another seach, and BAM! Here it all is! Thanks bro.. well done.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I had this info spread out in various threads, figured it was time to get it all together now that I've had time to "torture test" the setup :laugh:
trailworthyxj said:
What year F150 springs did you use and what is the overall length of the pack?
I'm not sure of the exact year, the springs were all in a bin at the junkyard. As I mentioned, they are probably 80s to early 90s. All of these fords used the same basic frame, so I'd imagine the springs all measure about the same. I can tell you 2 of the 4 packs had a different cut, round vs tapered, but they measured the same.

I have a main leaf lying around somewhere, I'll try to get some exact measurments for ya later on.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I had this info spread out in various threads, figured it was time to get it all together now that I've had time to "torture test" the setup :laugh:

I'm not sure of the exact year, the springs were all in a bin at the junkyard. As I mentioned, they are probably 80s to early 90s. All of these fords used the same basic frame, so I'd imagine the springs all measure about the same. I can tell you 2 of the 4 packs had a different cut, round vs tapered, but they measured the same.

I have a main leaf lying around somewhere, I'll try to get some exact measurments for ya later on.

Thanks for the info TRAILREADY.

What causes that funny brown pattern on the back of your XJ? Weird.

:D

Nice work on the better shackle setup.

yes.

Does anyone know if this would work with the HD Offroad shackle relocation bracket?

Thanks

Well, the HD Offroad site says you can move the shackle back 5" and the F 150 leaves are 5" longer. I'd say we're a go.

Does anyone know if this would work with the HD Offroad shackle relocation bracket?

Thanks

I am running this configuration. I had to move the center spring pin forward 2" plus my leaf perches have a three mounting holes, plus or minus 1". (So 3" total)

I installed some shorter Cherokee overload springs on the f150 packs.

I am going to fabricate some new front leaf spring hangers to move them forward. My shackles are in the rear most position and at approximately 45deg.

My shackles are in the rear most position and at approximately 45deg.
And this is bad? Most people try to stretch the rear axle backward for a little longer wheelbase... it helps when you want to run any tire bigger than 35's. Lets you trim less.

and isn't 45* the ideal position?

And this is bad? Most people try to stretch the rear axle backward for a little longer wheelbase... it helps when you want to run any tire bigger than 35's. Lets you trim less.

and isn't 45* the ideal position?

I would prefer the leaves not stick out as far as the bumper. Dragging them off ledges probably won't do them any favors.

45* seems pretty good, I am going to experiment with increasing it a bit.

The F150 springs are 25*31 and I modified them to effectively 22*34. I think having the axle biased that far forward decreases performance.

With 315's and Bushwhackers I need to keep the wheel pretty centered for now.

right right... that makes sense.

Back