• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In-line Fuel Filter?

perrbr02

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, am in the process of finishing my trail build. Was curious if there are any negatives to adding an inline fuel filter? My filter sock fell off when replacing the pump and don’t want to just buy a whole new assembly. Thought about just adding one in-line somewhere safe. To me, it almost seems like a better filtration than the OE sock.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for the fact it's high pressure. You will need a filter and fittings that can deal with that!

Comanche inline filters are only a couple bucks on Rock Auto.

The sock helps the pump draw fuel from the bottom of the tank and also keeps debris out of the pump. On my 92 I could tell Everytime the sock fell off because it'd start cutting out with as much as 1/3 tank of fuel. Ideally you should replace the sock.

All it take is one small chunk of crud, sucked off the bottom of the gas tank, to jam the pump and to stop you and your XJ dead in its tracks.
Mopar wouldn't have wasted the money on the filter sock if it wasn't needed.

If you off-road it and dependability is your goal, repair the pump.
If it is an around town beater, that's another story.

Back