• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BBK, can't find pre '90 knuckles.

Borgli

NAXJA Forum User
So I have decided to upgrade the brakes on my '92 Xj with GT500 rotors and GC calipers. Problem is that I can't find any early steering knuckles.
Does anyone know if I can mod the newer style knuckles to have them fit? I don't have the calipers on hand yet, I didn't want to order them without being sure I could get my hand on the right knuckles or if the newer ones are modable.

Also; if someone has a pair of '89 knuckes or earlier lying around I'd be happy to take them off your hands ;)

Thanks guys!

If you are doing this the cobramarty way with the spacers, the wing style knuckles from 90+ won't work. On gojeep's site there is a writeup of a big brake install and it requires you to grind off the caliper mounting area on the 90+ knuckles and install a bracket that goes under the bolts holding the unit bearing on. The bracket looks simple enough to make if you can weld, and one could be made with the same dimensions to put on the GC knuckles and gt500 rotors.

Easiest though is to find the knuckles, just looked on eBay and there are two auctions that would get you both sides for under $150. Obviously you might get lucky in the junkyard. Yj knuckles of the same age will also work.

Junkyard?

Back