• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find police package Cherokees?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
A couple weeks ago I test drove an 97 XJ with the police package. Pretty clean and had definitely not been abused, 140k miles, rubber floors, upcountry suspension, 242 t case, factory skids and tow hooks. Also had a spot light, extended idle switch, certified speedo, etc. I thought it would make a great daily driver but they were asking about ~500 too much.

I waited a week and a half for them to drop the price. The day I called back they had just sold the jeep at full asking price ($3995).

Now I'm sure this is going to be like a needle in a hay stack, but any ideas where I can pick up another clean XJ with the police package? Interested in 96+ model years.

I just want a 120 mph speedo

Maybe but would make one hell of a racket trying.

I wouldn't limit myself to the police package. Everything those had can be done to a civilian version. You can get better upgrades than the factory skids, better brakes than the 10 inch drums, deffinitaley better axle than the 35 for the rear. Extended idle is a couple of wires and rubber floor mats...you get the idea.

I'm actually considering buying this jeep.

The price is high, but it's exactly what I want.

Still debating.

I drove both that one and the one they sold. My recollection is that the one which sold was far better, but I can't be sure. I lost the paperwork I had on it. They don't seem all that inclined to move on the price (I say this as a car salesman) but they're very nice. You will pay too much but you'll get a quality rig.

I was very fortunate that my '00 rolled on the lot I work at in the midst of my search. I paid a LOT less than what Pacific is asking for theirs.

My recommendation is to search Craigslist on a daily basis. Your best bet is to find someone like the guy who traded in my rig: a non-XJ person who has no idea what they have. Unfortunately, most people who have an XJ these days either wheel it (proud of their rigs) or are simply Jeep people who are supremely proud of their rigs to the point of stupidity.

If I were you, I'd get past the police package and look for a grandma with a loaded Sport or Limited. You'll find an excellent rig for a steal and spend what you save on upgrades. It'll probably take a while though.

I drove both that one and the one they sold. My recollection is that the one which sold was far better, but I can't be sure. I lost the paperwork I had on it. They don't seem all that inclined to move on the price (I say this as a car salesman) but they're very nice. You will pay too much but you'll get a quality rig.

I was very fortunate that my '00 rolled on the lot I work at in the midst of my search. I paid a LOT less than what Pacific is asking for theirs.

My recommendation is to search Craigslist on a daily basis. Your best bet is to find someone like the guy who traded in my rig: a non-XJ person who has no idea what they have. Unfortunately, most people who have an XJ these days either wheel it (proud of their rigs) or are simply Jeep people who are supremely proud of their rigs to the point of stupidity.

If I were you, I'd get past the police package and look for a grandma with a loaded Sport or Limited. You'll find an excellent rig for a steal and spend what you save on upgrades. It'll probably take a while though.

Do you remember what was wrong with the one they still have? I live 6 hours away so I can't just stroll on down there. How often do they get them in?

One had a distinct shudder at idle and at times through the power band. It might've been as simple as loose mounts, but I wasn't taking that chance.

I'd email them and ask if they'd mind sending you pics of the instrument cluster. My best recollection is that the good one had the full cluster and not the base cluster with light indicators.

They get them in on occasion. Seattle City Light is the biggest fleet left in King County. They use my shop and I see one in there at least every week to two. They're slowly phasing them out one by one, but I'm not sure if Pacific buys them directly or at auction. They seem to pay above wholesale and ask a little over full book.

What would it take for you to go back and check it out for me? If you could do that today I'd really appreciate it and be willing to compensate you for your time!

It turns out the shuttering was a loose skid plate rattling which has been fixed.

I put a deposit on the jeep and will be driving up on Thursday. Crossing my fingers it is a good solid and clean rig.

Well I bought it! The shuddering was a cracked aux fan the dealer overlooked. I still bought it and will just replace the fan. Needs a couple fairly minor things fixed and some clean up, but should be a solid rig. Drove 325 miles home without a problem. On one tank of gas to boot! I got them to take $150 off the price for the fan problem.

Back