• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing Down Tire Carrier

TGrady

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I'd share the tire carrier that I made last week. I had previously looked for a design similar to this and couldn't find one. I was limited on options for the tire carrier since my rear bumper was set under the rear hatch so I couldn't mount anything to the top of it, like a swing out carrier. The top mounts use quick releases while the lowers use bolts. All of the steel is 1-1/2" x .120 wall tube. It held up through the trails last weekend and my rig is up high enough that it didn't scrape any rocks. It is a little heavy but it worked.

q4wDphH.jpg

7wzYWdY.jpg

lFaOsO2.jpg

lBokgce.jpg

Man, crazy shackle angles!

How sturdy is that? Does it wobble on the street? I thought about something similar but wasn't sure about the how well the the carrier could take the load of a tire with mounting points that close.

The shackle angles are something that I've been wondering about as well and I was going to start another thread about them.

Regarding the sturdiness, it seems fine. I don't daily drive it but I just drove 200+ miles to the Rubicon trail, through the trail and back with no issues. Going through the trail I never noticed it hitting the hatch or anything. We had too much gear in the back to see if it swayed at all.

Back