• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical fan upgrade options (not electric)

You can't pull enough heat anywhere but in front of the radiator.

Derale 6" fans are rated for 400 cfm each... 800-1200 cfm through a stacked plate cooler I'm guessing will do a helluva lot more than the stock setup.

I tried using a similar fan in the stock mechanical fan shroud. My results in the SoCal deserts and mountains were decidedly sub par. Unless you can get a fan that moves a LOT of air (Taurus fan, for example), you're going to have problems with temperatures.

Oil coolers are extremely effective for reducing overall engine temperatures.

My transmission cooler is in front of the radiator. Putting it on the passenger side reduces the impact on the radiator as the difference in temperature is still high. Air leaving the trans cooler is going to be 30*-ish above ambient, and when running hot, the radiator is 200*+.

ZJ fan and hood vents have kept my XJ cool even in the local deserts when it was 100*+ and at 3-4000 feet and the AC cranking.

I have thought of toying with other higher performance electric fans - esp since I have some around. The fan from my mustang (2013 gt with a paxton) seems like would be a good and very similar replacement to the taurus, though the shroud might be a bit weirder to cut. I replaced that fan with a GT500 one, which would be an even better option if I wanted to buy one as it shaves off about an inch of space and is rated even higher CFM. If they can cool a blown v8... they should be able to cool a jeep. The size of those fans and the volvo/taurus one - seem to be a bit better if I add the trans/oil cooler under the radiator behind the bumper... That'll be I guess cooling step 2.0, if I can't get good enough results with the new radiator, trans cooler, vents and zj clutch setup.

The last one is absolutely too massive - but a fan like in my 2017 F150... All electric and crazy powerful, but I'd probably need a radiator the size of the rear hatch... heh.

I live in Los Angeles it's all most as hot where I at today was 110 and my xj was running at 210 and after a long hill it was only at 215 but setting still it will also hit 215 but cools down when start moving . I'm running a stock fan clutch but the radiator is a champion Two row all Aluminum it seems to work good had it now for about a year and a haft with no problems .I did read a build on a XJ where they used a plastic fan and they showed it pulled almost 2x the air using a wind meter , but I can not find where the web page is on the build he also said the electric fan almost did not come on any more . I keep hoping some body else saw this build .

Back