• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IRO u-bolt plates with OME Leaf Springs???

xdarrows

NAXJA Forum User
I have new ARB OME CS033RA leaf springs on the back of my 1999 XJ ... unfortunately, I only received two OME u-bolts in my initial parts order, so the German shop used one on each side and spot welded the nuts on two of original u-bolts to hold the springs on until the other two come in.

Will the IRO zinc-plated u-bolts work with the OME springs and u-bolts?

Thanks!!

Have no experience with IRO, but I can tell you that different axles use different tubes, and thus, different bolts.

8.25 Chrysler is 3", most I've seen were well long enough, and had to be cut after installation.

D35 is 2 3/4", and for some reason aren't available locally.

3" U bolts are common in our market, no need to order anything special. I just go to a local spring shop and buy a kit for about $20. If I recall correctly, they're seven inches long, 1/2 inch fine thread. Some filing of the plates is usually in order, as the plates which come in the kit never fit.

Looking at IRO, they fail to list any specs other than zinc plated, grade 8, and hardware included. They're probably 7/16x14.

I'd check around for spring and axle shops, the places here deal with trucks and trailers, but don't mind me and my routine Jeep projects. I just ask for a 3" u bolt kit and there it is. They also sell spring clamps, so for $30 out the door, I have everything I need to put a pair of packs together.

I just reread your question, if the plates you ordered were for your application, any factory style bolt should fit. Factory plates are fine too, and with minimal cleanup of the holes will take much larger diameter bolts just fine.

tl;dr keep your original plates just in case because any three inch bolt kit available can be made to fit them.

Thanks, Overland.

I pulled the trigger on the IROs, just because I want something fresh and not rusty on the new spring packs.

For a Jeep that's nearly 20 years old, there is only a limited amount of surface rust on the underbody ... and I am aiming to reduce what's already there.

Back