• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'd like to ditch my 2.5

Just a thought but there are alternatives to 4.0 that use the 2.5 transmission bolt pattern. 3.4 Camaro v6 and some Cadillac v8s. Somebody has a wright up on putting 3.8 Camaro v6 in mj’s

Far as fuse panels go I don’t know for sure but it looks like the Renix era 1986-1989 maybe 1990 are the same dash harness bulk head plug.
The 1991-1994 dash harness bulk plugs look the same from what I’ve seen. I think 1995 could be the same more or less, but they added airbags so that could be an issue however the 1996 engine harness I have does not look different from the 1993 fuse box/dash harness plug so they might bolt up and work I’m not sure. For some manufacturers like Toyota the dash harness were very different for air bag years vs none air bags years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90 has a grommet in the center where the main harness enters, but I once cut out the firewall from an 89 to put in an 86 and it didn't have it. 91 doesn't have it either. Maybe it's to do with the Bendix 9. (I'm building a 90 at present) I'll look at my other 90 which was non ABS and see what's there.

Otherwise, I want it to be a Jeep. Not a big fan of GM V6s or anything Cadillac. Besides, I have the drive train already. I just need the appropriate electrical to make it plug and play.

Okay, 91 is different because 90 and 92 both have that hole. On early models it's for the Renix system. I forget what passes there on later models.

Here's the firewall in the 86, with center from an 89, which accepted a harness from a 92. I had to enlarge the TCU passage for the later grommet.

P1010041.jpg

Also, looking up a fuse panel guide, I found a picture for 94 which shows a TCU fuse, but it goes back into the engine harness from there given the aforementioned isolation of the TCU harness. The manual panel may not have the receptacle wired for it, but the circuit could probably be added easily enough after identifying it through the one in my other 96. The pins and wiring from a Renix model would work, same fuses, same pins.

Back