• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle lengths

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone seen a compiled list of the different manufacturers and their associated length's? I need to start planning for my SFR bracket installation.

Ironman has an adjustable shackle that is pretty slick, adjustable with a screw thread. I have two of them. I also have their shackle relocator. this works well with my 5.5 inch lift. got a great shackle angle, smooth ride.

Ironman has an adjustable shackle that is pretty slick, adjustable with a screw thread. I have two of them. I also have their shackle relocator. this works well with my 5.5 inch lift. got a great shackle angle, smooth ride.

Those are way to long, I'm currently running RE 5" shackles.

The SFR shackle is 5.5".

If I were you I'd run that. It's about 3/16 more lift than your current shackle.

Has anyone seen a compiled list of the different manufacturers and their associated length's? I need to start planning for my SFR bracket installation.

Here is my list, although I was aiming for a shackle less than 5" c-to-c, so I don't have much info on longer shackles. There are many 5"+ c-to-c shackles though. But with your fab skills, you can easily mod your shackle of choice to produce whatever c-to-c length you want.

o Stock shackle is 3.1” center-to-center
o Ironman 4x4 shackles – 5.375” long.
o Iron Rock Offroad shackles:
HD adjustable 10456 - 3.25”, 4.5”
Boomerang 10457 - 5”, 6”
o Rusty’s 0.75” extended shackles, these are 4.75” center-to-center, these are very beefy
o Tomken Machine are 1” longer than stock, should be 4.1” center-to-center
o Rubicon Express RE2700 is 5” center-to-center
o JKS add 1” of lift

Here is my list, although I was aiming for a shackle less than 5" c-to-c, so I don't have much info on longer shackles. There are many 5"+ c-to-c shackles though. But with your fab skills, you can easily mod your shackle of choice to produce whatever c-to-c length you want.

o Stock shackle is 3.1” center-to-center
o Ironman 4x4 shackles – 5.375” long.
o Iron Rock Offroad shackles:
HD adjustable 10456 - 3.25”, 4.5”
Boomerang 10457 - 5”, 6”
o Rusty’s 0.75” extended shackles, these are 4.75” center-to-center, these are very beefy
o Tomken Machine are 1” longer than stock, should be 4.1” center-to-center
o Rubicon Express RE2700 is 5” center-to-center
o JKS add 1” of lift

I should have stated center to center distances, I don't trust advertised lift!

Cal, I have seen those and look very promising to what I need. My shackles are vertical right now so I definitely will need some longer ones.

Most of the ones in my list do specify center-to-center. I called up all the aftermarket shops in my list to try to get that value.

I just measured the SFR boxes and the height is almost the same as factory, and the 2nd hole in is about the as factory. Doing a little math and the fact I want to lay the shackles over leads me to think 6" might be a good number.

I decided to take "baby" steps and not over think this. I ordered the SFR shackles because I only want to try one hole forward and the SFR's are 5.5/6.5" so I have room to play. The worst that could happen is I have to buy a set of 6" ones.

If I had known a week ago. I gave away a one off prototype set that were 6" and slightly used.

And had unicorns in them.

If you don't like 5.5" or 6.5", weld up the holes (or don't weld the holes) and drill holes at 6".

ive done this on a few projects, and it can be rough on drill bits. with all the heat you put into it welding up a hole you are basically heat treating the local area which becomes work hardened. assuming the shackle is at a 45 degree, a half inch hole difference in length is going to account for 1/4" change in lift height, basically negligible.

its a 20 year old station wagon, not a piano. no need to over think it. pick a shackle thats tough and built well. add/remove a small spacer or second isolator in the front to level it out and move on with life.

If you don't like 5.5" or 6.5", weld up the holes (or don't weld the holes) and drill holes at 6".

ive done this on a few projects, and it can be rough on drill bits. with all the heat you put into it welding up a hole you are basically heat treating the local area which becomes work hardened. assuming the shackle is at a 45 degree, a half inch hole difference in length is going to account for 1/4" change in lift height, basically negligible.

its a 20 year old station wagon, not a piano. no need to over think it. pick a shackle thats tough and built well. add/remove a small spacer or second isolator in the front to level it out and move on with life.

Yep, shackles are cheap and I do like my drill bits! Besides then I wouldn't have a 6.5" if I need it later.

I should add that the only reason I'm doing the SFR brackets is try and get a little better ride out of my 18yr old springs.

Back