• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side to Side overhead console

DrRandy

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking of where to mount my CB, 2 meter ham, switches, and an external speaker for the radios, out of the way of me and the passenger. Here's what i'm thinking...make out of plywood (1/4" should be fine with the supports) an overhead console that goes from the drivers side to the passenger side and from the winshield back towards the rear 5-6". In my 91' i dont have the standard overhead to worry with as far as getting it out of the way. I would mount the radios angled back towards the driver and put on an angle so i can clearly see the radios display, they would be over the passenger side. This will only "hang" down 3" or so. Over the drivers side i can put an external speaker for the radios and maybe a few LED's for map lights. To get power up there i could run 1 hot and 1 ground, tie these into distribution blocks to power everything needed.

Anyone ever see anything like this???

Last edited:
On the 12volt, take a little longer and run the wires straight to the battery. Look at your max current from all the things you are going to power and run the appropriate sized wire, fuse both positive and negative lines.

This is especially critical if your 2 meter rig is one of those common 50 watt rigs.

On the 12 volt, take a little longer and run the wires straight to the battery. Look at your max current from all the things you are going to power and run the appropriate sized wire, fuse both positive and negative lines.

This is especially critical if your 2 meter rig is one of those common 50 watt rigs.

Someone on here did exactly what you described, I don't remember any details though... If I think of anything I'll post it up. You might try searching through the "Where did you mount your CB?" threads, I think he's posted pictures in some of those.

I've seen something similar to what you describe for ford trucks, they call it a visor shelf.

Yes, very much like the visor shelf......you get the idea.

Someone on here did exactly what you described, I don't remember any details though... If I think of anything I'll post it up. You might try searching through the "Where did you mount your CB?" threads, I think he's posted pictures in some of those.

I've serached & searched with no luck. I did find something somewhat close but not quite there
thanks!!!:looney:

One guys did it in the "where did you mount your switches thread" It hung down way too low in my opinion, but it worked for him. I am 6'2" so I dont think the whole shelf would be a good idea.

Ill try to find it...

~James

So here is what I was thinking of when I read your post. This is not mine, but was in another thread.

~James

DSC_0134_sm.jpg

Perfect...except i'm about 6' 0" and that "hangs" down to far. I can go off this and modify!

thanks again

Back