• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid question on how to remove top bolt on front diff

jmol50

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a new 96 XJ and I'm new to DIY repairs and I'm no kid. I've googled all over the place trying to answer this stupid question and I can't find anything. I've replaced all the other fluids in the Jeep (engine, transmission, transfer case, power steering, brakes, and rear differential) all thanks to this forum and youtube) but I can't figure out how to get the top two bolts on the front differential. It's embarrassing. It's in a weird spot and I can't get enough leverage to get them to crack. I bought a socket extension and it didn't work for me - it's at a weird angle. What am I missing? Help me - I don't want to fail at this easy of a task.

Suggestion...

Once the diff cover is removed, drill and tap a hole in the appropriate location for a drain plug. This will make oil changes very easy, which means your more likely do do this needed maintenance. select a location that is low and of enough thickness to support enough threads, ie a thick section. make sure the hole is tapped deep enough so the plug does not protrude out the bottom of diff to protect it from damage. a plug with a magnet in it is ideal as that will help collect metal wear bits, keeping them out of circulation.

Good Luck, keep jeepin!

Back