• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Online/eBay used parts sellers?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any to particularly recommend or warn against?

Reason I ask is that my 2000 XJ according to my friend's mechanic possibly needs a transfer case. Unfortunately right after he started working on it the shop caught on fire so it hasn't been open in something like a month, so I can't have parts delivered there, and there aren't any decent junkyards local to me. Seems like the most inexpensive and convenient option would be to order a used TC (242) and then possibly rebuild the one that's coming out at my leisure, but it also seems that I may end up in the same position I am now but out a couple hundred dollars.

Any advice?

Why don't you ask around on NAXJA. There are plenty of people in the Southeast Chapter with transfer cases laying around. Get on the for sale/wanted thread in the chapter and see what happens.

If you order from a junk yard on eBay I'd make double sure of the shipping charges before committing .
Other thing is if there are shipping terminals near by you can make terminal pick up for cheaper shipping.

Far as just people scrapping jeeps on their own some decent folks but shipping can be a problem. These folks usuly are not getting shipping discounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had very good luck for 16 years buying all kinds of used and new stuff on Ebay. One key is to read everything, and ask questions if needed first. Also buy only from those with a lot transactions and rankings in 99 to 100% area to reduce risk. I never buy large, heavy bulky stuff online for the most part. But even that seems to be changing. Bought a gas tank through Amazon 6 months ago, and all I can say is the local parts store are trouble with Amazon Prime. But a lot of stores, even Autozone are selling on ebay now. I bought a new GMB 4.0 Jeep fan clutch from Amazon for $25 Monday, and I had it 48 hours later with Prime. For $8 more I could of had it in 24 hours.

The problem is warranty, and freight, terms!!!!

Last edited:
I've bought plenty of bulky things like engines, transmissions, axels, subframes, cylinder heads, gas tanks, bumpers on line. But then again I did it for a living when I worked the parts counter so it wasn't a big leap to do it for myself.
Shipping cost is the deciding factor for me. Amazon prime shipping auto parts is moving me more away from places like rock auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will post a feeler. It's not beyond my ability to repair anything (except an automatic transmission, I swear that shit is magic) but I have no good workspace. I'm not even looking forward to swapping, but I don't know that I have a choice. I got the Heep back last week from the burned out shop and job #1 is going to be getting the smoke smell out of the interior and vacuuming the shit out of the headliner. Job #2 is tracking down whatever the hell is wrong with the driveline so I can go over 80 MPH without the damned thing feeling like it's going to flail itself apart.

Ozone is great for getting rid of the odor from the fire.

Figure out what is really wrong with the rig before buy anything. After a fire you could have new wiring issues, and there is no guarantee the transfer case diagnosis was even right since the shop that told you that burned their shop down next????

The fire didn't actually reach the Jeep and I've driven it maybe 100 miles since with no issues.

I believe that they replaced one U-joint and wanted to replace another

I just don't have the ability to work on it myself - I've been pulling 10s at work consistently and will probably be working this weekend.

I probably should post a WTB for some front axle shafts as well so I can rebuild at leisure and minimize downtime (I believe the front DS was already rebuilt, and I have a spare somewhere in my storage locker that I bought with an eye to a future SYE that never happened)

Back