• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
Ok on my Cherokee I have Hercules Trail digger mud terrain tires. 285/75/16. Work great Offroad terrible on road. noisy,rough almost out of round felling. Been that way since day one. Since I cash and carried and mounted at the dealership I work at tire shop won't stand behind them. So I'm looking for a good aggressive all terrain type. I like what BFG has to offer. I've used Goodyear Duratracs in the past. Very happy with those but there seems to be lots of new generation all terrains in the same price range of the BFG tires. What's are you all running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would look at Geolanders because you can get them in a "C" as most that size are "E's"!

I have used both General Grabber and BFG KO AT tires and have been happy with both. The Generals are less expensive but wear a tad too quickly.

I am running BFG KM2's and feel them same way about the as you do about your Hercules.
I ended up getting another set of rims and some Wranglers to use on the street and just change tires when i go wheeling.

Back when I bought my 2000(new) with 16" Freedom rims, I started to run all kinds of 265/75/16's. A couple years later I invested in some 15" wheels and ran 33x10.50 BFG MT's as trail tires only. After a few years of changing tires/wheels out all the time...........forward> In 2008 we planned a week in Ouray(Black Bear, Imogene, etc) so I wanted a set of snow/ice tires. I bought a set of 265/75/16 Dura-trac's and have never looked back. I sold the steelies, but I have been looking for a set of Rubi rims(reasonably priced)for a year now as a need a new set but will go with the Durs-trac's again as I've never been dis-appointed in them! I never wanted anything that was a "D or E" tire, so it limited my selection down a lot!

Last edited:
Though they don't look agresive the Hankook Dynapro ATm I have been running on my MJ have impressed me immensely. Of course they are nice on the highway, just look at them, they'd have to be. On the dirt, rocks,rain, snow and other slick surfaces they done as well as any BFG ATs i have run. They don't do too bad in what mud I have encountered. This is Socal so I can't speak to Real Mud.
The have a considerable amount of siping that compliments the milder tread pattern well. I'm running the 235/15 flavor.

Though they don't look agresive the Hankook Dynapro ATm I have been running on my MJ have impressed me immensely. Of course they are nice on the highway, just look at them, they'd have to be. On the dirt, rocks,rain, snow and other slick surfaces they done as well as any BFG ATs i have run. They don't do too bad in what mud I have encountered. This is Socal so I can't speak to Real Mud.
The have a considerable amount of siping that compliments the milder tread pattern well. I'm running the 235/15 flavor.

I've got the Dynapro 245/70/16 on my Grand Cherokee. They are really good . I never even thought about them on my Cherokee. Hum??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the duratracs in the 285/75/16. Yes they're load range E but I love them. Been through just about everything in them and I'd say they're 10 times better than my old km2s.

I have the kook ATMs on my zj. They're ok. Fine for mild off-road but not super impressed in the snow. Not a bad tire but I wouldn't call it great. That said, I'd probably put them on again.

Thanks. I'm now split between 2 tire makes. One I have run in the Past. Duratrac which worked awsome on my 87 in everything I put it through. The Hankook that I have on my Grand Cherokee. I've had very good experience in Oregon snow with them. But no Offroad experience. Both tires have really good reviews on the sites that sell them. I guess I also have took at what I'm using my 00XJ for vs my 87. I did a lot crawling with my 87. I do more trail exploring with my 00 XJ. Even though they are set up very similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used both General Grabber and BFG KO AT tires and have been happy with both. The Generals are less expensive but wear a tad too quickly.

Wear quickly -- Really?

I've had the complete opposite experience -- I have 4 vehicles with General grabber at2 tires -- none show any signs of wear

One vehicle is a snow plow truck -- chevy 3500 -- when they where 1st put on the operator forgot to put the truck in 4wd -- plowed most of the storm and didn't even realize he wasn't in 4wd

The largest set I have , is also the most mileage -- 35X12.50X15 -- on a 95 suburban with a dana 44 solid front axle -- I have 20,000 miles on this setup -- They barely look used

Now I'm not really sold on the off road capabilities on the grabber -- in Mud they load up fast -- Their road performance is stellar -- Rain and snow are excellent

I recently pulled a guy over who was running 37" Nitto Trail Grappler MT tires -- I followed him and stopped him because they where so quiet -- I was on a highway, right next to him doing 60 -- almost complete silence

I don't know much about the nitto, but I'm sure going to give them a hard look when it's time for tires on my XJ

Last edited:
I ran BFG KOs until they were discontinued.
Two summer ago, we had a months vacation and were going to Colorado.

The Jeep's KOs were worn and the new KO2s were not yet available in the 33X10.50-15s. So, I tried a set of BFG KM2s, in the same size.
It's an incredibly tough tire...and it has the rough ride to go with it. Running at 10-12 psi, the ride didn't soften up much. The KM2s are noisy at low speed but, strangely, quieted down a bit at speed.
The KM2s do have great traction on rock and in mud, not so much in loose gravel or on wet, smooth surfaces.

After the trip and couple months of trying to like them on the street, they were sold and replaced with the newly available BFG KO2s.
"Oh, that's a lot better!" said my off-road critic and wife. She didn't like the KM2s.

The KO2s are a better handling version the old KOs, superior in most ways except for the wear, they seem to be wearing faster.
They work OK in the snow too (a snowflake tire), a bonus since there isn't clearance for chains.

Now for the bad part, I cut the sidewall on one, a few weeks ago, and don't remember hitting anything recently all that hard or sharp.
Maybe bad luck or or they have a softer sidewall, never had a cut sidewall on the KOs.
The good news is America's Tire replaced the tire under the extended warranty.

Back when I bought my 2000(new) with 16" Freedom rims, I started to run all kinds of 265/75/16's. A couple years later I invested in some 15" wheels and ran 33x10.50 BFG MT's as trail tires only. After a few years of changing tires/wheels out all the time...........forward> In 2008 we planned a week in Ouray(Black Bear, Imogene, etc) so I wanted a set of snow/ice tires. I bought a set of 265/75/16 Dura-trac's and have never looked back. I sold the steelies, but I have been looking for a set of Rubi rims(reasonably priced)for a year now as a need a new set but will go with the Durs-trac's again as I've never been dis-appointed in them! I never wanted anything that was a "D or E" tire, so it limited my selection down a lot!

Sorry to high jack this but. Are 265/75/16 too much tire for daily driving and traveling? I ask because I bought my first xj that happens to be a 2000 also. Currently I'm putting an engine in. It came with a 4.5" lift and 31/10.5/15 on it. So I haven't driven it yet to see how the tires size runs down the road.

I just happen to have a set of 265/75/16 in the garage And didn't know if it would be good idea to put the 265's on or buy another set of 31's.

Thanks

I have 4.10 gears which work out to be about the same as 3.55's and stock tires. You would also need new rims.

I have 4.10 gears which work out to be about the same as 3.55's and stock tires. You would also need new rims.

Did your xj come with 4.10's factory? I forgot to mention I bought a set of factory 16" rims off a 2001 xj. I've had a few diesels and 1988 ford rangers in my twenties. But now in my mid thirties I caught the xj bug.

Sorry to high jack this but. Are 265/75/16 too much tire for daily driving and traveling? I ask because I bought my first xj that happens to be a 2000 also. Currently I'm putting an engine in. It came with a 4.5" lift and 31/10.5/15 on it. So I haven't driven it yet to see how the tires size runs down the road.

I just happen to have a set of 265/75/16 in the garage And didn't know if it would be good idea to put the 265's on or buy another set of 31's.

Thanks

A 265/75/16 is a 31.5" tall tire. A .5" is not much of a difference

Did your xj come with 4.10's factory? I forgot to mention I bought a set of factory 16" rims off a 2001 xj. I've had a few diesels and 1988 ford rangers in my twenties. But now in my mid thirties I caught the xj bug.

No, I did that with the first lift!

Back