• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ AC compressor -- Can I fix it?

1800 to 2000 rpm -- I should be close according to that chart although I was without the electric fan

It was around 90 here today in NJ

New fan should be here pretty quick -- definitely by monday but I'm hoping for Friday

1800 is the generic speed for testing/filling AC systems in my experience, but I could be wrong. Off idle, anyway. Seems to me the differential increases off idle but doesn't change much with higher rpm, so 1800 should do.

You could fill a warehouse with shit I don't know.

The idea is to avoid overcharging, which is why I didn't comment on your low pressure in absence of ambient temperature. The minor increase in high side pressure from idle to 2k is minuscule, as most systems are pretty tolerant, but it might not be good in the long run, especially with a questionable clutch.

I don't mind answering questions, I do this stuff for friends free, after they buy refrigerant, parts, etc.

I was once told on this forum that if I removed my perfectly good compressor and replaced it with a belt idler kit available at Autozone, my engine would run cooler. I think you could get worse advice.

However, if ever I say something stupid, I'd hope to be called out on it by a better informed poster.

Bringing this back...

Needed to change my heater core so I changed out the evaporator and Accumulator also

I need to know how much oil to put in each part and also what type of oil do I use -- I know its some form go PAG oil

Entire system is supposed to be 6.1 ounces of oil but I don't change out the compressor or condenser -- from what I'm reading looks like I should put 2 ounces in the evaporator and 2 ounces in the accumulator/drier

Does this sound right? Still unclear as to which oil to use

PAG 100

Per the 2000-2001 manual add 3 to the accumulator and 1.5 to the evaporator when changing these parts (out of 6.1 total).

Interestingly in the 1997-1999 Jeeps which cycled the fan differently, 8.25 ounces is specified.

Bought some Pag 100 today -- Saw that my compressor actually specifies SP-20 but in researching SP-20 is what Sanden calls Pag 100

Next question I have is does anyone know which way the coolant flows thru the system? Being I didn't add the oil to the evaporator before installing I want to make sure I at least pour it into the intake line of the evaporator so the system will force the oil into the evap

Does the coolant flow from the accumulator to the evaporator or the other way from evap to accumulator?

Back