• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another CA Smog Story

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I can't tell you how much I dread this time of year (well, every 2 years). The past few cycles, there's always something wrong and I fail the first time. Mostly, it's a bad O2 sensor but twice I had to also replace the Cat to pass. CARB certified Cats are not cheap.

This year I was close, only exceeding NOx at 25mph.

So since it's close, I ended up cleaning the EGR (it tested fine). Found my TPS was a bit out of spec, so adjusted it, and found an exh leak between the Cat and muffler so replaced the old rusty clamp.

While doing this, I developed a starter issue (chronicled in another thread). Of course, not related to smog testing but had to be fix nonetheless.

Once the starter issue was resolved, back to smog testing. I also ran some Seafoam though the oil, fuel and down the TB. After a few high speed, extended blasts down the freeway and some fresh oil, back to the smog station.

It passed. Both NOx readings reduced, the failed one by almost half. Safe for another 2 years.

Back