• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on Nut Strips

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to get a nut strip for the left side of my 2000 XJ for installing an after market hitch. Most of what I've seen advertised a strips made with basicaly rivet nuts which are locked into the stip by compression force. I'm afraid in the future removing the bolts coud be a problem causing the rivet nuts to spin in the stip. I've seen some where nuts are welded to the strip, which I think woud be a better option, but I don't know where I can get them. Any opins on the tow types of strips, also whre can I get the ones with the welded on nuts.
Thanks,
Bill

Google "JCR nutstrips"

You'll find what you are looking for, plus other install videos too....

These are factory strips, they are welded.
52077909.html

Try again.....
FH000010_zpsddmkmfil.jpg

I was worried about the same thing until I saw this video. I bought them and managed to bust rivet on install and now it spins :banghead:

It was the last bolt after installing a new tire carrier and gas tank skid so I wasn't going to remove all that to have JCR replace the nut strip. It was disappointing.

I was worried about the same thing until I saw this video. I bought them and managed to bust rivet on install and now it spins :banghead:

It was the last bolt after installing a new tire carrier and gas tank skid so I wasn't going to remove all that to have JCR replace the nut strip. It was disappointing.

I would email them and let them know, maybe they'll send you a new set for the next time you have your bumper/skid off.

This does not surprise me.

Likewise, I will not be surprised if yet another one or two spin when you finally get around to removing them.

Rivnuts should be an option of last resort. They do have a place, but only in situations where there is no access to the back side. For a manufacturer to decide to save a few cents this way is disappointing.

Note that the video I want to see is the rivnut not spinning upon removal of the bolt, after the bolt and rivnut have rusted together from a decade worth of winter salt driving. Give it a few years and I expect we will get to hear just how well those rivnuts are really doing. Probably with a number of curses directed towards JCR.

At least in the future, all you'll need to do is torch/grind off the bolt head.

If this is a recurring problem on these units, I wonder why there isn't a small spot weld tack applied to secure the rivet-nut?

Back