• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Cylinder

Murray_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys... '98, 4.0, 9" drums yadda yadda...

I have replaced the driver's side wheel cylinder twice in the last month and cannot figure out why it is leaking or what is causing a brand new cylinder to leak yet again. this last time I even replaced the brake line just for peace of mind. it's held up for about 3 weeks (1st replacement did as well) and walk up to it in the parking lot today, I see fluid building up and dripping out of the bottom of the drum yet again. :mad:

what the hell is going on? any ideas at all?

sorry no pics... at work right now.

Are you sure it brake fluid? Your either not getting the correct wheel cylinder or getting it adjusted properly causing the cylinder to over-extend.

definitely brake fluid... it's certainly not gear lube from the diff with a bad axle seal. the difference there is quite diSTINK if you get my drift haha.

the piston can over extend I take it? I have a lot of petal (meaning it doesn't compress very far) and the shoes are new.

not many views or responses here... but I got this figured out last night. the adjuster retainer was not proper seated into the teeth on the adjuster due to the cable loop (little plate) not being seated into the shoe properly. I never noticed it each time but it appears it was allowing the cylinder to extend too far. no fluid today so far, so we'll see. always learning with this thing. I'm wondering if the little nipple on the back of that cable plate is wore out and allowing it to slip out. it was a good 3 weeks after replacing the last cylinder which clearly was good (jokes on me) before it started to leak.

I had two bad ones right out of the box in a row in 1 week, total of 3 in 3 years from Autozone, Durajunk. Try a better brand.

Okay guys... '98, 4.0, 9" drums yadda yadda...

I have replaced the driver's side wheel cylinder twice in the last month and cannot figure out why it is leaking or what is causing a brand new cylinder to leak yet again. this last time I even replaced the brake line just for peace of mind. it's held up for about 3 weeks (1st replacement did as well) and walk up to it in the parking lot today, I see fluid building up and dripping out of the bottom of the drum yet again. :mad:

what the hell is going on? any ideas at all?

sorry no pics... at work right now.

I have learned the hard way the last 3 years on these older jeeps, to just replace anything I do not already know is new, that I already replaced in the last 3-5 years, and I mean all of it on the brake parts.

not many views or responses here... but I got this figured out last night. the adjuster retainer was not proper seated into the teeth on the adjuster due to the cable loop (little plate) not being seated into the shoe properly. I never noticed it each time but it appears it was allowing the cylinder to extend too far. no fluid today so far, so we'll see. always learning with this thing. I'm wondering if the little nipple on the back of that cable plate is wore out and allowing it to slip out. it was a good 3 weeks after replacing the last cylinder which clearly was good (jokes on me) before it started to leak.

I hear you man... I may just have to blow both drums apart and replace everything. 4 days later, another puddle of brake fluid in the rear wheel today when I walked up to go to lunch. pulled the wheel and drum, adjuster is still synched unlike before so it has to be a garbage cylinder. which yes, was duracrap. smh... getting tired of this issue.

I changed suppliers to NAPA or O'reily's and got a good set about 12 months ago. I Think I got one from each, as neither had both sides in stock, LMAO. Did not want to wait for Rock Auto

Back