NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 14th, 2020, 09:37
NAXJA Member

Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
I’ve had the manual switch mod for a year now — took apart and rewired the PDC so I could use an empty relay and fuse port — wired the new relay as described

I’m unclear how you incorporated a timer into this circuit — a wiring diagram would be helpful

I wired my switch hot at all times — I have to sit in a parking lot for 3 minutes to manually shut off the fan — would be nice to have the timer
The timer is wired in line on the wire from the switch that activates the relay- basically just clipped the wire and put the timer in the middle of it.

The timer has 12v power coming from the accessory fuse block I added, which is always hot, so it gets power whether the jeep is on or off.

I'll see what I can do on a wiring diagram. Again no hosting option that I'm aware of and I've never used taptalk either.
Old January 14th, 2020, 18:53
NAXJA Member

You are a paid, red letter member — you can host your photos right here on naxja

User CP — Albums — download your pictures to your album and then you can use them in your post
Old January 14th, 2020, 20:27
NAXJA Member

Timer with wiring. Yellow is the trigger wire from the switch, red is 12v power, black is ground. The red wrapping around the unit goes to the com terminal on the output side. Note the 4 on the display for the 4 minute setting.

Timer tucked down next to my ARB Compressor

Not sure why it rotated my switch photo but here it is:

Old January 14th, 2020, 20:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
You are a paid, red letter member — you can host your photos right here on naxja

User CP — Albums — download your pictures to your album and then you can use them in your post
Thanks for the tip. I knew this had been discussed but never heard it had been implemented.
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:13
NAXJA Member #1310

I mounted the timer inside the middle console, after unscrewing and lifting the inner storage box out. A button to turn on the three minutes is located next to the TC lever.
Under the hood, a fused 40-amp relay drives the fan motor.
It's been eleven years since it was installed and while has never failed, I don't have wiring schematic . I do remember needing to use a diode or two to isolate the timer from the stock fan wiring.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/...th/3482846101/
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old January 15th, 2020, 13:43
NAXJA Member

Wiring diagram from the post I followed, with the timer wiring added in:

Old January 15th, 2020, 13:46
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
I mounted the timer inside the middle console, after unscrewing and lifting the inner storage box out. A button to turn on the three minutes is located next to the TC lever.
Under the hood, a fused 40-amp relay drives the fan motor.
It's been eleven years since it was installed and while has never failed, I don't have wiring schematic . I do remember needing to use a diode or two to isolate the timer from the stock fan wiring.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/...th/3482846101/
I know. I've read your posts on the subject multiple times over the years and I've got an ELK timer sitting in the garage. The ELK timer didn't do what I wanted. This one did.
Old January 15th, 2020, 17:44
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
I know. I've read your posts on the subject multiple times over the years and I've got an ELK timer sitting in the garage. The ELK timer didn't do what I wanted. This one did.
Glad you got a timer to work, it is the only sure cure for hot soak issue.
I had problems with the ELK back feeding the fan circuit and ended up isolating the ELK with a couple of diodes. The ELK itself has been trouble free.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old January 15th, 2020, 18:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
The timer is wired in line on the wire from the switch that activates the relay- basically just clipped the wire and put the timer in the middle of it.

The timer has 12v power coming from the accessory fuse block I added, which is always hot, so it gets power whether the jeep is on or off.
Use a temperature switch in-line with the timer (or on the control side of the relay). Then it will only have power when the coolant is hot.
Old January 16th, 2020, 21:10
NAXJA Member

https://youtu.be/89XjtV1n2zU

Video of the timer in action. I am clearly not a videographer