NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 12th, 2020, 20:57
NAXJA Forum User

Stumped with issues

Ill try to keep this simple

97 Cherokee 4.0 with AW4, NP242, snorkel, 33's, no transmission cooler

- few weeks ago, got stuck, used winch, ground on battery was crap and melted my ground terminal clamp. Replaced with nice new for both positive and negative
- week later the Jeep would start stalling once it got hot and not start for another 30 min. Happens when pushing through deep snow in 4lo. Checked cap and rotor and the rotor was garbage. Replaced both and no issues for a few weeks.
- today out wheeling, it happened again, and I lost overdrive on the way out of the bush

NSS is new. Tomorrow I'm going to check the TPS. Any other suggestions? I have a fairly new CPS I can install to test but not sure why I would have lost overdrive.

Is it related?
Old January 13th, 2020, 04:32
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Stumped with issues

May be related, maybe not. Find the OBD-II computer sensor that has become heat sensitive. CPS is a likely suspect.

Buy/install transmission cooler. Use Dexron_III/Mercon. Load Test Battery. Load Test alternator. Check fan belt condition and tension. Test fuel pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; January 16th, 2020 at 16:46.
Old January 13th, 2020, 13:49
NAXJA Forum User

To clarify, by overdrive do you mean 4th gear or torque converter lockup?
Old January 16th, 2020, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

In addition to the other suggestions. Since replacing the rotor helped, I suggest you get the ignition coil checked under load. The ignition coil may be slowly dying and not putting out enough voltage to the spark plugs under load. Forget continuity checks. If the internal coil windings are shorting out, the number of winding will be reduced (i.e. lower voltage to the plugs) but the continuity will be fine. Cracking of the coil's outer surface can also allow moisture to get into the coil.

Best regards,

CJR