NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 7th, 2019, 08:38
NAXJA Forum User

transmission mount

I replaced my old stock tranny mount as it was sagging a bit, causing my Atlas transfer case to droop and rub on skid plate/crossmember. I bought a stock looking mount at Autozone, The new mount sagged more than the stock on, so we adding spacers to keep the transfer case off the skid plate. One camping trip later and the new mount sagged so much that the exhaust pipe and transfer case both rubbed, had to make a trailside repair with even more spacers to keep things from rubbing, and making a hole in the exhaust.

What tranny mount is good?

this is a 5 inch lifted 1990 xj jeep.

Thanks!
Old April 7th, 2019, 08:55
NAXJA Member

Re: transmission mount

Stinky fab makes one — it’s around $85

I don’t run it but if I was to go to a custom mount this is what I would run

I just customized an anchor trans mount from rock auto — filled the void under the rubber with poly casting compound — have not installed it yet so I have no comments on its performance
Old April 7th, 2019, 09:01
NAXJA Member

I have the Daystar poly mount. Bought it before the sfr was available. Definitely noticed more noise and engine vibe but it does not move or sag. For my mostly trail rig it's fine.
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:44
Sierra Chapter President

Get the Stinky Fab Racing mount. I have one as well and am running an Atlas too. Well worth the money.
Old April 7th, 2019, 12:10
NAXJA Member

Another for the StinkyFab mount. I've been running it for a while(AX15/241OR) and just switched to the SuperSoft bushings. Good stuff.
Old April 7th, 2019, 16:00
NAXJA Forum User

I have the Stinky fab as well. it does a great job, but it does vibe. it's noticeable if it's your daily. if it's your trail or camp rig it should be fine. I think I may go back to mopar in the near future (it lasted 100k+ here in socal) and sell the SFR. but mopar is definitely squishier.
Old April 7th, 2019, 19:29
NAXJA Member

I am using the StinkyFab with a rubber bushing from NAPA, no sag no vibes
Old April 8th, 2019, 04:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I am using the StinkyFab with a rubber bushing from NAPA, no sag no vibes
What bushings from Napa?
Old April 8th, 2019, 08:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
What bushings from Napa?
In for the info. I run the SFR transmission mount but would swap out a rubber bushing to dampen the vibes on my Daily '01 XJ if it's feasible.
Old April 8th, 2019, 09:10
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I don't think it's necessarily but more info on this rubber bushing would be interesting
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
In for the info. I run the SFR transmission mount but would swap out a rubber bushing to dampen the vibes on my Daily '01 XJ if it's feasible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
I don't think it's necessarily but more info on this rubber bushing would be interesting
I work at Napa so I am curious as to what he is talking about. Plus if and when I replace the tranny mount I was thinking of going with the SFR one. But my '00 is a DD and that is it. So keeping any possible vibes down and using a quality tranny mount would be a win win in my book.
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
I'd be interested for the NHV that it could help reduce. My '01XJ has quite a bit of this when I'm sitting at a stop/light while in D... if I slip my AW4 into "N" while stopped at the same time the NHV all but goes away. Likewise, as soon as I start to accelerate the NHV also goes away. It's really only noticeable while sitting in traffic, at a light, etc... No idea of swapping in the Rubber bushings would change that, but it's worth a try for me.
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:21
NAXJA Warranty Voider

The trans mount does not transmit any vibes at all, so I dunno.
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
I have the Stinky fab as well. it does a great job, but it does vibe. it's noticeable if it's your daily. if it's your trail or camp rig it should be fine. I think I may go back to mopar in the near future (it lasted 100k+ here in socal) and sell the SFR. but mopar is definitely squishier.
My jeep is driven on highway a lot for camping and such, so bad vibration would be annoying. I do have 33 x 12.5 off road tires, so I have a lot of tire noise anyway. As soon as I replaced the mount, at first my jeep was a lot smoother than with the old mount which collapsed enough that a corner of my transfercase was rubbing on the skip plate. So the vibes were noticable to me.

I like the price and simplicity of the Daystar mount, but am concerned about too much vibration noise that may make the jeep bad for them long highway runs. But then again my jeep is noisy anyway. I was told by some that the grand cherokee fan clutch would be too loud, but when I added it, I didnt notice any change above the loud already tire noise.

How bad is the noise and vibration on some of these stiffer mounts? Consider my situation.... large offroad tires, sometimes day long highway drives to get to jeep destinations.

I need to get my choice made, next jeep trip in five weeks. Certainly the stock mount is not an option. I probably ought to do the two motor mounts also, they probably have 40kmiles on them, over 15 years old. I have had this, my first jeep for about a year now

ps my windshield got shattered on jeep last trip, (this was after we did the aforementioned bandaid shimming repair on the collapsed tranny mount to prevent my exhaust from rubbing on the cross member)
A fist size object hit the window while i was at about 65 mph on the Interstate 15 near Barstow CA. came straight at my face, saw it 1 or so second before impact, arced down straight at me, really quickly. It left a big 10 inch or so bullseye, and long cracks across the glass. My copilot said he saw it bounce off lane to my left. It was up in the air, my jeep is lifted so it was way up in the air. I was peppered with glass shards, but rock/object did not penetrate. We had to wrap up windshield in duct tape, drove home with a slit view of the world, but not too little a field of view to be unsafe.
Old April 8th, 2019, 15:18
NAXJA Member

rubber bushings for the SFR

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...#post246224338