NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 8th, 2019, 08:03
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

All I have done lately is work on project cars. Back to back engine swaps wore me out.
Old April 13th, 2019, 17:43
NAXJA Warranty Voider

alright. i'm home, let me find my photos, crack a beer and get this show on the road.

*edit*

apparently not. about half of my last set of photos are missing. re-uploading.

Last edited by cal; April 13th, 2019 at 18:00.
Old April 13th, 2019, 18:26
NAXJA Warranty Voider

For some reason my pictures uploaded all out of order. That's going to make this update harder, but i'll see what I can do.

First thing was to bolt the torque converter down. ARP does not make a bolt that works for this, but I did manage to get new Mopar hardware.

The manifolds were in, so I tossed in a new DEI heat shield.

Next I pulled out my very sexy NRT Autosports billet fuel rail.

Attached the mounts with supplied hardware and just a touch of blue loctite.

Once those are in, you need to address the ends. They are threaded for an o-ring fitting, you can put 90* to AN fittings on them and make it a flow through rail. Which to that end, it would be really nice if the factory quick disconnect fitting were an AN fitting you can put a cap or a quick disconnect on to, but not impossible to deal with.

Supplied caps and o-rings.

Installed with a small touch of blue loctite.

And installed with 30 pound EV6 injectors from Five-O motorsports. Notice they have 2 holes, not 12..

And then in the car.

DEI heat wrap on the injectors, too.

I also had wrap for the fuel rail, but it did not fit around this blingy rail.
Old April 13th, 2019, 18:31
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I have a 64mm throttle body from Mean Lemons, they hooked me up way cheaper than anyone else could.

Tossed new Mopar sensors on it and installed with the gasket i trimmed before the manifold went in.

And then installed a new Mopar coil pack.

And then finished bolting the rest of the accessories on.

And tied it all together with Gates new RPM belt. Supposed to be as strong as their heavy duty belt series, but with enough bite to spin a supercharger at speed.

Hard to get a good picture of it, but the belt is actually sparkly.

Interesting to note, the belt does not stretch at all.
Old April 13th, 2019, 18:36
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Dropped the radiator and AC condenser in place and routed/installed the coolers.

I don't know if you can tell, but the hoses JUUUUST squeeze into an existing void in the metalwork. There isn't room for anything else here.

And right on par, dropped the 10mm into a void in the body. Took some time to fish it back out.

Got the front end back together as well as the misc under hood stuff. Need to find a replacement color matched bezel that isn't damaged. Dunno what happened to this one, been this way a while.

In theory if i turn the key now, it should start. I'm nervous.
Old April 13th, 2019, 18:38
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Sooo.

Back on the lift. Disconnect the fuel system.

Pulled the crappy factory pump out of the tank, and replaced it with a new AEM unit.

CRAP CRAP. Rockauto sent me the wrong fuel pressure regulator and its about 10pm. Guess I'm done for the night.

Old April 13th, 2019, 18:53
NAXJA Warranty Voider

In the morning I ran out to pickup a FPR (ouch, $120) and 5 gallons of 91 (ouch, almost as much..)

Rolled out the new to me Genrite 30.5 gallon fuel tank and set it on the work cart. A pretty impressive chunk of aluminium wrapped in an equally impressive chunk of steel.

Now that I'm done finding the inside of a gas tank sexy, lets work on putting it together.

Getting to here was more work than you'd think.

And then I turned around to find the fuel sock sitting on the tool cart. crap crap.

Back apart.

And assembled.

Roll the cart under the jeep and lower the lift until everything is close enough to line up and feed bolts through. The tank installs and is held up by the skid plate bolts and not by the straps, which means you're trying to line up the tank/skid, trailer hitch and exhaust hangers all at once. Actually kind of a bitch to install during which i may or may not have (did) crush Dallas's project cart with the lift and now owe him another one.

For some reason the gas tank used one bolt hole that my car had but nothing else used, and did not use the one the hitch and exhaust hanger used, so I had to drill a hole in the skid to mount it. Also kind of a bitch, and I suck at drilling holes, but i managed to nail it.

All installed. Its bigger for sure but doesn't actually hang any lower. Extends forward a couple more inches and uses every bit of space, where the OEM tank is very rounded.

Dumped the 5 gallons of fuel in and it read just under 1/4 tank. I'm guessing it stays at full for a long time before it starts dropping.
Old April 13th, 2019, 19:00
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Figured while it was up on the lift, I'd do the new SFR AW4 skid. Sexy sexy.

And the girl has been complaining about the ride with the 250 pound PAC coils up front. Apparently she likes it rough but not *that* rough. Picked up some Currie 9132 4" progressive coils, a much softer ride.

A nice shot of that Moroso pan while its out.

Unable to avoid putting it off any longer, I opened the shop door and turned the key to the jeep.

*click*click*click* DOH

Old April 13th, 2019, 19:09
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Once the battery charged up I rolled it outside, and cranked the key.

*BOOM* Strait to 6000 RPM. Those forged pistons with 20 some odd thousands quench just loved that shit.

I didn't get a photo, but the cruise control cable was not seated in the bracket all the way and was holding the throttle open. I checked that it was closed all the way and opens all the way - before I installed the cruise control.

Once I fixed that, all worked perfectly. Shoved a 1/8"ish chunk of wood under the throttle plate which put is at 2K RPM and ran it for 30 minutes to do cam break in.

I've taken no more photos from here, but I'll give you the story. Ronbo (from naxja) was there when we fired it up, so after break in we left it running and went for a drive. Pinged like a mofo. Constantly. I mean it was pinging driving down the driveway. Went around the block and it just got worse. Came back to the shop, drove it on the trailer, cleaned up and went home.

The next morning Mark came down to look at it with me. We found it only had ~20 psi fuel pressure (should have been 49). Pulled the relay and jumpered the fuel pump and it went strait to 50.

Replaced the relay with the one from the AC (which is still not charged) and it read 45 psi. Went for a drive, no pinging, but no power. I mean it was clearly a torquey little stroker but it just did not want to get up and GO. Until the parking break wore out, which took about 4 blocks. After that I scooted along pretty effing good, no pinging.

Drove it to dinner that night up the highway a ways. Pings just a hair when it locks up the torque converter, but wasn't sure I didn't have a relay problem. Parked it and loaded the camper up, the misses and I were leaving on vacation the next morning, we got back this morning.

Today I ran out and bought a new relay, and tested fuel pressure. Now I'm getting 62 psi (wtf?) and no pinging - but, I am using a crappy $19 harbor freight fuel pressure gauge instead of Mark's snap on. Tomorrow he's coming down to do some more diagnostics and start some ECU tuning.

So I don't really know where we're at on the fuel or the pinging. My brain is still sitting on a beach in Ventura drinking beer and relaxing.

I'll update more after we have figured out what's going on and done an initial tune.
Old April 13th, 2019, 19:13
Degenerate Jeeper

Are you gonna have it ready for SoCal Fest?
Old April 13th, 2019, 19:20
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Probably not. I have a lot of work travel coming up, and haven't started on the front end yet.

But I'll still be there camping.
Old April 13th, 2019, 20:34
NAXJA Member

Sexy af... Love the attention to detail man.. And dreaming of having some of that bling one day myself!

Hope the tune and fp get this beutiful beast purring and ready to roar like she wants to! Keep up the good work- habitually stocking this thread for updates and pics
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:35
NAXJA Forum User

This project is no longer "Project Unicorn"...

but instead...

"Project NO Expense Spared"

Looks awesome, but I feel every other post hurting wallet, and it's not even my build.

Might have already been asked, going to get it on the dyno for some real world numbers?
Old April 15th, 2019, 14:01
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
This project is no longer "Project Unicorn"...

but instead...

"Project NO Expense Spared"

Looks awesome, but I feel every other post hurting wallet, and it's not even my build.

Might have already been asked, going to get it on the dyno for some real world numbers?
You might be surprised how often I feel like I cut corners to save a few hundred bucks.
Old April 15th, 2019, 14:02
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Interesting day tuning yesterday with Chris Jenson and Mark Nelson. Will write it up later.

Until then let's take bets on cranking compression. Closest guess gets a surprise in the mail.