NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 29th, 2019, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

Regear question

Im planing on going to 456 gears with spartan locker in my 98 xj its got a d30 hp up front and 8.25 in the rear with the np231 tcase and ax15 tranny my question is that im short on time and would like to split the install for each axle between two weekends because its my daily and i have to get to work monday-friday so i was wondering if i could do the rear one weekend and then remove front drive line to still be able to drive to work and finish the front install the next weekend its maybe a 6mile round trip drive with no plans on going on the freeway or anything would this be something i could do safely
Old March 29th, 2019, 22:34
NAXJA Member

Re: Regear question

Yes you can do it safely by removing the front DS. I did it while I was re-gearing.
Old March 29th, 2019, 22:36
NAXJA Forum User

Sweet thanks
Old March 30th, 2019, 09:00
NAXJA Forum Addict

You don’t even need to remove the front shaft... it’s just insurance if you’re the type to forget that you’re mid regear. Granted you’ll need to pull it to regear anyway.

I threw some painters tape on my 4wd lever as a reminder as I was mid move and didn’t want more parts floating around
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old March 30th, 2019, 11:46
NAXJA Forum User

Regear question

What they said, plus you donít need to restrict your speed or distance. As long as you donít put it into 4wd with the front driveshaft installed you as far and as fast as you normally would.
Old April 14th, 2019, 00:53
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
What they said, plus you donít need to restrict your speed or distance. As long as you donít put it into 4wd with the front driveshaft installed you as far and as fast as you normally would.
+1. Had to go a week with different front, rear ratio. No issues.