NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 10th, 2019, 08:19
NAXJA Forum User

98 XJ Build

Hey guys. New to the forum but not to building Jeeps. This is my 2nd XJ build (first one was a 87 Renix)and before that I built a YJ. This Jeep Is a 98 Cherokee sport in Flame Red with about 200k on it. Motor runs great so which leads me to believe itís not the original motor. The transmission was freshly rebuilt when I bought it so thatís a plus for me. The Jeep came with a severely worn out 4.5Ē short arm kit. The suspension is to rusty to tell what brand it is at this point. Also has 32x11.50x15 BFG ATs on it. Before I scrapped my last XJ I pulled the 4.5Ē RC lift off as well as the 35x12.5 BFG KM2s so Iíll be recycling those for this build. The plan for this Jeep Is 7.5Ē Rubicon express coils up front, IRO critical path LA kit. Repacked Leafs with a small shackle lift. Thatís really it as far as the suspension. Itís really more of a mild Resto project then a hardcore build.
Mods/fixes that Iíve done so far

Interior:
Repaired all Power Locks/Windows
Fixed all interior leaks
Removed and pressure washed carpet/ seats(interior was disgusting when I got it)
Cleaned up any surface Rust on the floor and treated it with POR15
Still need to replace the headliner as itís starting to sag
Exterior:
Cut out and replaced both driver and passenger side rocker panels and quarter panels. Sprayed the lower bottom of the Jeep with color matched Raptor Liner
Sprayed Header panel with color matched Raptor liner
New Grill and headlight bezels
LED headlights
Just installed Hackn Tap SYE ( I know there is a lot of haters but I got it for $45 and I had two XJ driveshafts so I donít have a lot of money into it lol)

I just got my off-road bumpers back from powder coating so they will be installed this weekend. Other future mods include regearing, Spicer Trak lok in the rear, body work, and eventually a respray.
I will try and post some pics of how it looked when I saved it from it impending death to how she is looking now. Thanks for reading and Iím always open to suggestions and Ideas.
Old April 10th, 2019, 22:02
NAXJA Forum User

98 XJ Build

Unless thereís other evidence, a strong running XJ with 200k miles does not necessarily equate to a past engine swap.
Old April 10th, 2019, 22:30
NAXJA Forum User

Question Re: 98 XJ Build

I agree. It just has 0 valve taps orang ticks which is common with high mileage 4.0s