• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Can't wait to see it with the treps. How did you win them?

In a raffle

Saw the video of this thing on beat not babied the other day. Looks like a good time! I'll be looking out for what you end up doing with the body next.

Honestly this Jeep ain’t long for the world lol I’m planning on going full cherokbuggy with it but to the best it can be and over time. If something major body wise were to go wrong with it (ie fold in half) I’ll start on something new. I have been talking about starting with a Comanche platform and building a full chassis in and around the cab keeping the bed skins before it ever hit the dirt then moving all my stuff over to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harlan was a fun time but really did a number on the Jeep, care has gone out with all the back glass. Time to start really having fun with this thing. Got the 42s on today. With the Jeep having hardly any windows I had to pick up a set of rollers to help it fit in the garage. Also took the back doors off and pulled the rest of the carpet. I did find a few things with the carpet being pulled.. first off the muffler was pushed so far up into the floor it was starting to burn the carpet, I also found out that the two main floor panels in the back seat area are starting to separate. Not sure what to do about this but probably just gonna let it ride. More to come but over time. I got one more month left of this class I’m taking and also the transmission in my truck took a shit again so I am having to focus on those two more importantly.

e71d3304a88339d4b7666ad22b805f83.jpg

04ff68b180c6a816f20d2fc88afd0340.jpg

cb57839d75df5246d8302db6bca71649.jpg

026cb1d0e34bb9e8b37faffc7e78a101.jpg

So finally started working on this thing last night. I’m starting with replacing the rockers and doing mini boat sides. I was gonna do 2x6 but was given a stick of 2x4x.25 for free so I’m gonna cut it all out and see if I can make that work first. I also have a 24ft stick of 2x2 tube I’m gonna use for legs to the frame rails and to also tie the cage in. Got one of my old sliders off later night. Motivation to finish it now. Ordered some aluminum round last week through work which should be here today or tomorrow. Gonna use that to build up my front bumpstops topping it off with a rubber hockey puck to work with my new upper steel bumpstops. Shouldn’t be too long before it’s all back together but we’ll see.

47d50804133a5ccd4680fff580c0b6ee.jpg

Are you going to trim the bottom of your doors for the mini boat sides? In another build thread I saw someone trim off like 2-3” off the doors and bring the slider all the way up to the bottom of the door sills. Looked pretty slick. I’m going to try that idea myself pretty soon.

Are you going to trim the bottom of your doors for the mini boat sides? In another build thread I saw someone trim off like 2-3” off the doors and bring the slider all the way up to the bottom of the door sills. Looked pretty slick. I’m going to try that idea myself pretty soon.

What doors? Lol I don’t plan on putting doors back on this Jeep.. honestly not sure how high I am going with my new rockers but I know at least to the door seal but could be higher.

I took mine up to the bottom of the hinge. 2x6 was pretty much perfect to go from a Piller to door. Sticks out about 1/2" past door. I also cut out everything from the rocker to the frame rail. Lot of work but absolutely worth it. Gained like 6-8 over my sliders.

I took mine up to the bottom of the hinge. 2x6 was pretty much perfect to go from a Piller to door. Sticks out about 1/2" past door. I also cut out everything from the rocker to the frame rail. Lot of work but absolutely worth it. Gained like 6-8 over my sliders.

I’ll probably end up just going to the top of the door seal.. with not really having a nice welder of my own here I don’t want to tackle too much. And quite frankly my old sliders never really held me up.. mainly only doing this cause the steel was free, the old sliders were all pushed up into my rockers any way and to give more tie in for more tube later on.

Got started on one of my front bumpstops today. Only measured one side to start. Got some aluminum through work. Since I had done the solid upper stops a while back I’m building up from the bottom with some 3” dia aluminum the. Bolting a hockey puck on top to soften the blow. Got one side done today after work. Gonna be using some 3/4-16 threaded rod and two nuts instead of the trouble ended bolt I made up years ago. This way I can have some thread hanging out to thread the aluminum on once the spring has been bolted down.

72908149fb0c37fbadef34f312ba4bc1.jpg

8c2207061fe5cb366aa6f1b7c100b19d.jpg

340df9c06479083d5d7c4ef8e8120062.jpg

7cde1787f3f0a6c4b20db4adf95abc6d.jpg

628e5fb98bc8b09ae2a21872586d5c46.jpg

Got most of the new rockers done today. Everything is cut and mocked into place. Just need to take it over to my buddy’s place now to weld it all in. I’m gonna stick with the 2x4 tube and add a round tube bar to the outside a lot like my old rocker guards which will bring the outside edge about where I want it. Also have something special coming in the next few weeks for the Jeep which will help out a lot. Stay tuned!

2c80b71eed442a71b49ba13111f1cf97.jpg

4fffdac03d6d1909ab5c090917ad898f.jpg

0deae88d9c47a010a8a500860c9e9b02.jpg

905656618f317ffedfe14980b60b48ac.jpg

3719ebbe42f5d02467bf9bf0393bfdb7.jpg

Looks slick. Helps bring in the clearance that an XJ gets hung up on.

So decided to tear more into this thing yesterday. Since I had to take down my cross member for other things.. I decided on swapping out my crossmember for the Ironman one I have. It’ll be more flat plus will allow me to link the rear later on. Because of this I’ll have to re setup my links. I’m also going to clearance the inner fender a little more for the 42s.

b8e96986a5336065a4763c793f5d2289.jpg

I like that you went up that little extra on the rockers. It’s a bit more work but worth it for the extra 2” or so you’ll get versus just replacing the rocker itself. That’s how I did mine and added the tube to the outside to keep the Jeep away from stuff. You’ll just cut 2” or so from the doors

I like that you went up that little extra on the rockers. It’s a bit more work but worth it for the extra 2” or so you’ll get versus just replacing the rocker itself. That’s how I did mine and added the tube to the outside to keep the Jeep away from stuff. You’ll just cut 2” or so from the doors

I wasn’t planning on putting the doors back on but been thinking more and more about putting them back on but full half doors and leave it that way. Just to keep the mud out the floor.

Lookie at what decided to show up today! Got the new crossmember in and the new links made. Gonna try and have it sitting in its own weight by this weekend and hopefully I can take it over to get the rockers welded in. As well as a lot more to come!

7acc5631110195c19f7cb5863397e9f9.jpg

93d1933420c1a67638df2c4ffe0335c4.jpg

32b708ca9b21428775b7b2d7a8f6e308.jpg

Alright so the atlas is in. Only had to cut a little bit out of the floor to make it fit. Waiting on a tail support for it. Also got the crossmember fit up with the atlas. Will have to come apart again though for a little more trimming but for the most part it’s done. I might have to shorten my front driveshaft some as well. Something else for this new set up came in Friday. Picked up a set of 12” coilovers for the rear. Also ordered the rear half of the Ironman4x4 crossmember to get the rear linked up. I’ll put front coilovers on soon but right now not worried about it. With school starting Monday this will all slow down some but we’ll see gonna try and get as much done as possible without distracting me for my classes.

cf29ad2ff195f29ad1bba54ab4ff1bb5.jpg

b64fcc3b2a9c9dca3f2b37528557ddb9.jpg

I wasn’t planning on putting the doors back on but been thinking more and more about putting them back on but full half doors and leave it that way. Just to keep the mud out the floor.

Also a good choice. I have full doors and half doors but rarely have the full doors on. It’s nice having a place to rest your arm or have a cup holder

Back