• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine and Transmission swap / Differences in years

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
Ok....my 93 (4.0 HO, Auto, NP231) xj was totaled (rear ended) awhile back.

I had rebuilt both engine and transmission and both now have only 10,000 miles on them.

Now I have picked up a 96 (4.0 HO, Auto, Np231) with 133,000 miles on it

I plan on running the 96 intake and header.

-I was wondering what the differences are between a 93 engine and a 96 engine?
-And what are the differences are between a 93 transmission and a 96 transmission?
-Any new sensor locations?
-Would this be a direct Swap?
-Any problems im going to run into?

Also I think im going to Swap the AA SYE I have on my 93 transfer case to the 96 transfer case.......just because 96 has less miles.
(I didn’t rebuild the 93 tc)

I would look at this stuff myself but im down at school and my jeeps are back at home.

Thanks Guys,
Chris

C85D4x4 said:
-I was wondering what the differences are between a 93 engine and a 96 engine?
-And what are the differences are between a 93 transmission and a 96 transmission?
-Any new sensor locations?
-Would this be a direct Swap?
-Any problems im going to run into?

No difference.
Nothing that I am aware of.
Sensors should be the same for the H.O., could of changed some in the later years.
If you swapping just the long block, yes.
Don't think so.

93 and 96 are both OBD 2 i belive, so all the sensors and all that will have the same connectors and sensors. there are some differences in the intake and stuff but since your swaping intakes it should be fine (different TB and sensors with the 96) as long as you use all your 96 intake stuff it should work out fine.

91-95 are ODB I and 96+ are OBD II. There are some differences in the engine block, but nothing that will prevent you from using the 93 engine in your 96, except maybe EPA regulations. There is a temp sensor in the 93 head that the 96 doesn't have. It will need to be plugged.
Tom

75SV1 said:
There is a temp sensor in the 93 head that the 96 doesn't have. It will need to be plugged.
The temp sensor was still used on the 96 model. I have two of them at the house. The 99 engine I swapped into my 96 did not have it and I had to relocate the sensor.

Tom

The 1996 tranny (assuming it really is ODBII, 1996 was a cross-over year) will have a few sensor differences. The later tranny will have an extra input shaft speed sensor on the driver side just behind the bell housing. The rear output shaft speed sensor changed to 4 pulses/rev instead of 1 pulse/rev. Looking at the FSM, I understand you can pull the back of the tranny off and swap the rotors and use the other sensor.

You could swap the TCU and tranny wiring harness, but I think the ODBII engine controller will set a code if it can't talk to the ODBII version of the TCU.

Back