• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirping from Engine Bay

Forgot to mention - you might try using some 15w40 oil temporarily, if it quiets the squeak down you know it's an oiled bearing somewhere.

I had the constant chirping coming from the around the front of the engine, tighten or loosening the belt would change the chirping but wouldn't go away. Checked the harmonic balancer it looked ok , and feels solid. Found a video on youtube recommending to loosen the screw that holds the pulley under the steering pump, just enough to stop the chirping a bit of an odd suggestion, but it worked.

I had the constant chirping coming from the around the front of the engine, tighten or loosening the belt would change the chirping but wouldn't go away. Checked the harmonic balancer it looked ok , and feels solid. Found a video on youtube recommending to loosen the screw that holds the pulley under the steering pump, just enough to stop the chirping a bit of an odd suggestion, but it worked.

That means that the belt tensioner pulley bolt was too tight

I had a chirping coming from the belt path last year, I figured it was just the belt slipping a little here and there.

Until it sat over the winter and when I tried to start it I found the alternator frozen up solid. My chirping must have been coming from the belt slipping when the alternator wasn't spinning just right.

Back