• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a lp dana 30 pinion baffle problem?

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
It's my first time setting up jeep gears.
I started with a bare housing and a box of parts.

The pinion baffle that fits behind the large pinion bearing race has been causing me issues.

If I install the baffle, the crush sleeve pushes the baffle inwards towards the big bearing inner race slightly

The slightly bent baffle then rubs on the big bearings outer roller cage and throws and creates all sorts of issues

Should the crush sleeve be sandwiching this baffle to the bearing? I think not.

My master install kit came with some small pinion shims that I have not used. They look like they could be used to shim between the bearing, the baffle and the crush sleeve to possibly prevent the binding..

For now I have left the inner baffle out and replaced it with. 020 of pinion race shims and all assembled great and rotates like it should on my inlb torque wrench

I must be missing the obvious, I tried installing the baffle in both directions. No go. The hole in it is just large enough for the pinion to pass through, the crush sleeve will not fit through the hole so it gets pinched in the mix and rubs on my bearing.

What am I missing?

Are you thinking of the oil slinger that goes between the pinion itself and the large bearing?

What I'm talking about is called a pinion baffle, first is the big slinger, then big bearing, then big bearing inner race, pinion baffle and race shims sandwiched behind the race and the housing

It's been 17yrs since I did my LP D30, I recall the part but not it's placement or fit. Maybe something will come to me........

"If I install the baffle, the crush sleeve pushes the baffle inwards towards the big bearing inner race slightly"

If I remember correctly, the D30 on the XJ doesn't use a crush sleeve. Also the crush sleeve rests on the pinon shaft via a shelf cut into it and is only used for pre-loading. The XJ d30 uses shims for that.

"If I install the baffle, the crush sleeve pushes the baffle inwards towards the big bearing inner race slightly"

If I remember correctly, the D30 on the XJ doesn't use a crush sleeve. Also the crush sleeve rests on the pinon shaft via a shelf cut into it and is only used for pre-loading. The XJ d30 uses shims for that.

The low pinion D30 does use a crush sleeve.

Back