• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD: My 1987 "Wagoneer" XJ Limited

Couple Qs:

1-How much work is it to pull out the entire carpet set? Any idea on hours?
2-Whats the process for removing the steel sliders on the cargo carpet?

Trying to restore an xj as well. Keep up the good work.

[FONT=&quot]Removing the carpet is kind-of like painting... It's all in the prep-work! After removing the seats, console, trim, etc., ... The carpet comes-up rather easily... Maybe an hour?

About the cargo-strips... Maybe you already know this... But they simply have spikes that press/pinch into the carpet to hold them in place. I will not be re-installing mine the same way... Will post more information on this later. [/FONT]

If you run across the three OEM roof guards that are mounted on the roof between the roof luggage rails, I need a set with the fittings fast.

My roof is rusting, and the bolt holes there started leaking
:(
So I need to replace them, sand and paint the roof fast.

What type do your have? Chrome end-caps?

I sold one of those rear air deflectors as a package deal with a fancy JC Whitney style brush guard and rocker rails for next to nothing and was glad to be rid of it all. It was probably all dealer add on. I ran it for about a year and never noticed it to serve any particular purpose, hope that guy finds someone who really wants it someday.

Super clean build.

Its the three strips in the middle of the roof that run front to rear. They protect the roof paint from luggage. They were chrome with a black rubber insert top side. The screws went directly into the roof with steel screws. They rusted,:shiver: and rain got under them and ate a hidden hole in the roof. 2, 1/2" holes by the time I figured it out. Prior owner had caulked the early holes and bottom of the runners, and put the runners back on. I was shocked the screws were steel and directly screwed into the roof. :shiver:

Looks like they call them skid strips?

https://www.moparpartssource.com/p/...MIwKLpyt6l2AIVkONkCh0J2wraEAkYDSABEgL0vfD_BwE

What type do your have? Chrome end-caps?

Last edited:
Roof Luggage Rack

Its the three strips in the middle of the roof that run front to rear. They protect the roof paint from luggage. They were chrome with a black rubber insert top side. The screws went directly into the roof with steel screws. They rusted,:shiver: and rain got under them and ate a hidden hole in the roof. 2, 1/2" holes by the time I figured it out. Prior owner had caulked the early holes and bottom of the runners, and put the runners back on. I was shocked the screws were steel and directly screwed into the roof. :shiver:

Looks like they call them skid strips?

https://www.moparpartssource.com/p/...MIwKLpyt6l2AIVkONkCh0J2wraEAkYDSABEgL0vfD_BwE

To start... Here is the parts list:

9061_zpskcdurmv0.png

Carpet Installation - Looks are deceiving... Took more time

Eighteen hours later... I'm close to being done. Best lesson learned was… Fit the wheel-wells first. It became obvious that since the carpet started flat… Then molded… The widest “fitted” width are the wheel-wells. Once I figured this out… The nip/tuck began! By far I spent the most time fitting around the spare-tire hardware… As it seems the carpet was molded without this in mind.

IMG_1017_zpscn0fmhvv.jpg

Dang! That Jeep brings back memories!

My uncle had one. I remember riding in the back with my brothers and getting back-handed by my dad for passing wind............

Now I miss Buster.:tears:

reminds me of when I first bought him. His carpet was immaculate (until my kids).

Not for the purest...

If you're a purest... Skip this update! lol

The cargo-strips are ready to re-install... But how to-do?

When I had the chrome polished... I had three holes punched in each piece.

My plan, although not tested, is to lay a piece of Masonite under the carpet and attached the cargo-strips to it.

Stay-tuned!

IMG_1023_zpsng6l7ora.jpg

Seat-belts

Sent out the set to be re-webbed... Looks good to me!

XJ%20SB_zps0h8axbls.jpg

Did you have any problem with the buckles themselves coming apart?

Re: Seat-belts

IMO it is the little details like that which make the project. Nobody else will notice but you know and for reasons I can't explain make it very satisfying. Thanks for the link by the way. File that for possible future reference.

Interesting observation and response to it... Understood.

Back