• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ camping trailer...

chrisgerman1983

NAXJA Forum User
i have been daydreaming about a camping trailer a bunch lately so i figured id photoshop one to see how sweet it would be :D i just wish that it was as easy to fabricate and weld as it is to photoshop. has anyone else ever thought of making a wrecked XJ into a trailer. there is a ton at wreckers with front end damage that could be had cheap. the shell couldn't be too heavy with everything unnecessary, removed. there would be enough room for a bed maybe a little fridge some storage :D damn i wish i knew how to bring my dreams into reality :2thumbsup: does anyone have any thought on it would it be realistic at all or is it just a cool thought :confused:

290y1xs.jpg

It's been done. I'll look for pics.

Remember the Blue XJ XXPeditionXJ on the cover of Offroad Adventures, a 4WP magazine? It was left behind in Australia and made into a trailer. The owner/fabricator is here @ NAXJA.

expedition xj did a trailer from a full xj. If you were going to make one as tall the xj I would use two rear sections having a hatch on the front and back of the trailer. I personally would like to make a trailer out of an Mj bed and set it up like GoJeeps with a roof top tent mounted on top the bed.

Can someone photoshop one like mutant is talking about. I would like to see that combo. The two rear XJs together would also be cool with the two hatches and a roof top tent.

i have been daydreaming about a camping trailer a bunch lately so i figured id photoshop one to see how sweet it would be :D i just wish that it was as easy to fabricate and weld as it is to photoshop. has anyone else ever thought of making a wrecked XJ into a trailer. there is a ton at wreckers with front end damage that could be had cheap. the shell couldn't be too heavy with everything unnecessary, removed. there would be enough room for a bed maybe a little fridge some storage :D damn i wish i knew how to bring my dreams into reality :2thumbsup: does anyone have any thought on it would it be realistic at all or is it just a cool thought :confused:

290y1xs.jpg

it seems like you really want a two door too huh?

Many many (Many!) years ago, in some magazine like Popular Science, I think, I saw a similar rig made by some homebrewer using an early-50's Hudson and the rear portion of another for the trailer. It was a mean looking streamlined rig, and I've always thought the basic idea good.

As a practical matter you might find the trailer difficult to balance with that much of it forward of the axle. Of course I don't know how you could do it otherwise with existing XJ body parts, but it looks a little long in the front.

many of us here (myself included) have been brain storming the same thing. i think one out of a 2 door would be easier to make

There's a build thread somewhere here for a trailer very similar to your P-shop design. I can't find it doing a quick search. It's an old thread, I think I saw it more then a year ago.
If I remember correctly, the guy who did it was in England. He started with a blue XJ, windows decaled up pretty heavily. Finished the conversion and painted the whole thing white to match his trail rig. Spark any memories? I'll post back up if I can ever find it.

There's a build thread somewhere here for a trailer very similar to your P-shop design. I can't find it doing a quick search. It's an old thread, I think I saw it more then a year ago.
If I remember correctly, the guy who did it was in England. He started with a blue XJ, windows decaled up pretty heavily. Finished the conversion and painted the whole thing white to match his trail rig. Spark any memories? I'll post back up if I can ever find it.

Thats the one i mentioned earlier, i couldnt find it either.

I did find a pic of one constructed of a 2 door body on GoJeep's site. Check out bottom of page.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/Trailers.htm

You store your Budweiser under your jeep? Does the oil from the valve cover gasket leak make the Milwaukee horse p**s taste any better? :laugh3:(god knows it couldn't hurt)

As a practical matter you might find the trailer difficult to balance with that much of it forward of the axle. Of course I don't know how you could do it otherwise with existing XJ body parts, but it looks a little long in the front.
You could add a hitch and one of those hitch platform things. Put all your trail spares and other weighty gear back there to counter-balance.
One of these:
63153.jpg

Maybe fab one a bit stronger.

what kind of weight ratio is ideal for a trailer? do you need it to be pretty well balanced?

many of us here (myself included) have been brain storming the same thing. i think one out of a 2 door would be easier to make

I was just thinking the same thing, maybe cut hte front off just before the firewall and make some kind of cap to hide the remaining portion of the front clip before painting it to match.

I was just thinking the same thing, maybe cut hte front off just before the firewall and make some kind of cap to hide the remaining portion of the front clip before painting it to match.

yea it would be cool to keep a foot of the hood or something... would make a cool storage box, and be more aerodynamic for highway millage

2wnck02.jpg

might have to shorten it a bit though

dvg2z7.jpg

Back